JustCruzzin

Paying The Tolls

We couldn't believe how expensive some of the road tolls were in the central and east coast

states when we did our cross country trip back in June thru September. And some toll takers

charge differently when passing thru and the roads still suck. This is our first time with a toad

and was wondering how they charge for toaded vehicles and with a tag axle they'll probably

enjoy it. Does anyone dump the tag? LOL

I recommend you get a E-ZPass. I have one for the coach and one for the toad. The one for the toad goes into a shielded envelop when being towed behind the coach. You will save money and take any erroneous toll taker interpretation of the toll out of the equation. I had that happen to me. Went through the same plaza on different days and got charged differently. You can get one on line. I got my E-ZPass at a walk in sales store in New Hampshire this summer.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/about.shtml

I am going to try not to go that way again but the toll over the GeorgE Washington Bridge with RV and toad and no pass was $76.00. :wacko::blink::rolleyes:

There is legislation in the works to make all toll tags interoperable.

Bill

While you are towing they count each axle like a 18 wheeler. Many times it would be best to disconnect and drive both through tolls in separate lanes. I once paid more than $45 for 4 axles and to cross a bridge when both vehicles would of been $9. Now I use avoid tolls on the GPS as I did on the return trip and for now on.

Shop around for the EZ Pass. Each state charges differently for the equipment and some even charge a monthly "fee".

You do not have to be a resident of the state that you get the EZ Pass from! I live in NC but my EZ Pass is from Delaware. I only had to pay for the equipment. I go to Maine once a year and that is the only time it is used.

I like the Illinois I-Pass. It is fully compatible with EZ-Pass. Everything can be done online, including getting one. You don't have to live in Illinois. They only have 2 different transponders - a blue one for commercial vehicles and a white one for everything else. You list the make, model, state, license plate and type of license plate of all the vehicles you might use it on. You can swap it between vehicles. They don't ask for vehicle type, size, weights, axles, etc. Cost is one time deposit (refundable) of $10 plus $40 of toll funds. When the $40 is used up, they automatically debit your credit card for another $40. You can go online to check usage, update credit card info and update vehicle info. Nothing to mail in or phone calls to make. Try it, you'll like it!

While you are towing they count each axle like a 18 wheeler. Many times it would be best to disconnect and drive both through tolls in separate lanes. I once paid more than $45 for 4 axles and to cross a bridge when both vehicles would of been $9. Now I use avoid tolls on the GPS as I did on the return trip and for now on.

Did you have a E-ZPass and where was it? I think having the pass takes the interpretation of the toll taker out of it. Before I had a E-ZPass I was charged different rates at the same toll plaza on the same day.

I was doing some research on E-ZPass tolls and found this site that shows what different configurations should be charged. Go look they base it (apparently) on how many axles and if you have duel's on the rear axle.

https://www.ezpassnh.com/en/about/toll_calculator.shtml?f=HooksettRamp&c=3

According to this site 4 axle's and single tiers on the back cost $.70 while 2 axle's and duel tiers on the back axle will cost $.90.

When I was looking at getting my pass on line they wanted to do the motorhome as a commercial truck with higher initial toll deposit. Yet when I walked In they did not make me get the commercial tag?? They also told me to keep the transponder for the toad in it's shielded bag when in tow.

Bill

I went and looked on my New Hampshire E-ZPass account to see how they had the RV and car listed.

For Motorhome: Vehicle Type Code: 459 2Ax:Recreational Vehicle/ Motor Home:Dual Tr.

For car: Vehicle Type Code: 72 2Ax:Automobile/ Sport Utility(maybe trailer)

Bill

I like the Illinois I-Pass. It is fully compatible with EZ-Pass. Everything can be done online, including getting one. You don't have to live in Illinois. They only have 2 different transponders - a blue one for commercial vehicles and a white one for everything else. You list the make, model, state, license plate and type of license plate of all the vehicles you might use it on. You can swap it between vehicles. They don't ask for vehicle type, size, weights, axles, etc. Cost is one time deposit (refundable) of $10 plus $40 of toll funds. When the $40 is used up, they automatically debit your credit card for another $40. You can go online to check usage, update credit card info and update vehicle info. Nothing to mail in or phone calls to make. Try it, you'll like it!

I have been using I-Pass in Illinois for years and as stated above, you can list all your vehicles and move it from one to the other and you will be charged for the corresponding rate. I have had a semi, 2 motorhomes, various cars and I even add my granddaughter's car when she comes home from Florida so she won't have to pay the higher fees. Using the I-Pass in Illinois will be a cheaper rate than paying at the booth and most on/off ramps are no longer staffed with a human. It also works in all the same places as EZ-Pass. You can access your account online and change the amount of the automatic debit as often as you like. When I was running a semi, I had it set for $100 debit and a low threshold of $20, but now I have it set at lower rates as I don't use it much. It is a $10 cost in the beginning plus setting up the account and when you return it, you get your $10 back. Can be bought at any Jewel-Osco in Illinois or at any service center on the toll road. You can also order them online. As long as it is still good in all EZ-Pass locations, I will keep it.

I have been using I-Pass in Illinois for years and as stated above, you can list all your vehicles and move it from one to the other and you will be charged for the corresponding rate. I have had a semi, 2 motorhomes, various cars and I even add my granddaughter's car when she comes home from Florida so she won't have to pay the higher fees. Using the I-Pass in Illinois will be a cheaper rate than paying at the booth and most on/off ramps are no longer staffed with a human. It also works in all the same places as EZ-Pass. You can access your account online and change the amount of the automatic debit as often as you like. When I was running a semi, I had it set for $100 debit and a low threshold of $20, but now I have it set at lower rates as I don't use it much. It is a $10 cost in the beginning plus setting up the account and when you return it, you get your $10 back. Can be bought at any Jewel-Osco in Illinois or at any service center on the toll road. You can also order them online. As long as it is still good in all EZ-Pass locations, I will keep it.

How does the I-Pass work with towing your car?

Don't know about other roads but the New Jersey Turnpike E-ZPass rates vary by time of day. Rush hour is more expensive. That could be why you're seeing different rates for the same vehicle in the same day.

I have an I-Pass. The short answer to your question is "I don't know how it works", but it DOES work. I don't pull a car but I do pull a large enclosed trailer. I pull the trailer with both my '39 DP or my large SUV. And the I-Pass works great every time. I list the trailer, DP and SUV plus other daily cars in my I-Pass profile and swap the I-Pass to whichever vehicle I'm using. I can't tell if I'm being charged the correct toll. Hopefully the various toll readers work correctly. When I log on to my I-Pass account, I can see the Date/Time,Toll amount,Toll road name, Toll Plaza name and lane for each toll. However, it does not tell me what vehicle(s) were being used. To me, the convenience of not having to stop to pay a toll easily outweighs any disadvantages. I love it.