dc27526

Jeep Wrangler 2006 Sport

Have a Newmar Ventana 2015, 400HP. Just picked up a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2006, What is the best and safest tow bar. Will I need to add brakes to car? Where should I go for info and updates.

Thanks David

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new coach. I like and use a Blue Ox system so this is my opinion.

I think the first thing to do is go read and become familiar with section Recreational towing page 248-250 of your owners manual.

Next go hear for the part numbers for your base plate and lights. I recommend the BX7445 Aventa LX Tow bar as it has a 10,000 pound rating. This way if you decide to tow a heavier towed you have the capacity with out needing to by a different tow bar. I also like the extra capacity as a nice safety cushion.

http://blueox.com/recreational-commercial-flat-towing/baseplates/sorting/

You can get the part number for the Blue Ox Patriot Braking System hear to. Then shop for the best price. You can also find recommended installers on the website.

I would not tow with out auxiliary braking Most states require it and it is an additional safety tool when towing.

Bill

I tow a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I run the Demco Commander bar and I was using the Blue OX Patriot removable brake box until it broke. I am going to change over to the MG Brake system for the Jeep, mainly because of its simplicity and pricing.

My jeep is wired using diodes to the factory lighting. For towing I shift the transmission (Manual 5 speed) and 4x4 Transfer case into Neutral, unlock the steering and away we go. I bought the Demco bar due to the company I worked for at the time was a large customer of Demco and I got the bar at wholesale, I will say it has been great so far, built very well.

Towing a 2000 Jeep Wrangler myself. You put the transfer case in Neutral and the gear box weather it is a manual or auto IN GEAR. The Manual trans in High gear. That way if something happens and the transfer case does get put in gear you don't hurt engine. IF you put them in Neutral and the transfer case goes in gear you will tear the trans up due to wearing out the inner bearings on the main shaft. If engine is not turning the trans the oil can't get slung around to lube it(main shaft not turning). On a automatic if transfer case goes in gear either way by the time you get her stopped you be in a mess. Just my two cents worth.

I would go with Roadmaster. All of their parts for the tow bar are made by them in house. I've toured the factory and seen the parts being machined and assembled. Some of the other manufacturers have parts made off shore and then assembled in their factories. Roadmaster does free inspections at the major rallies.

Towing a 2000 Jeep Wrangler myself. You put the transfer case in Neutral and the gear box weather it is a manual or auto IN GEAR. The Manual trans in High gear. That way if something happens and the transfer case does get put in gear you don't hurt engine. IF you put them in Neutral and the transfer case goes in gear you will tear the trans up due to wearing out the inner bearings on the main shaft. If engine is not turning the trans the oil can't get slung around to lube it(main shaft not turning). On a automatic if transfer case goes in gear either way by the time you get her stopped you be in a mess. Just my two cents worth.

This is not what my manual says for my 2005 Wrangler or my 2014 Wrangler, both automatic. Transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park. The key must be left in the unlocked position on the 2005 but the key is off on the 2014.

Jim, I do not have the manual to my 2003, what does it say to do with a Manual trans? I put both in Neutral now and unlock the steering column.

Jim, I do not have the manual to my 2003, what does it say to do with a Manual trans? I put both in Neutral now and unlock the steering column.

It has to be in gear (any forward gear) to prevent it from spinning when the oil pump isn't pumping. Of course the transfer case has to be in neutral.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jim! I will start to put it into 5th just in case the transfer case would bounce into gear I won't over speed the engine.

I tow a 2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 with Auto Trans, I use a Road Master All Terrain tow bar with a M & G Engineering brake system on the Wrangler. The All Terrain tow bar makes for easy hook up at almost any angle and the M & G brake system ties into the air brakes on the motorhome, there is a small air tank in the towed vehicle to apply the brakes if the tow should break away from the motorhome.

We have used this setup for 2 years now with no issues.

2013 Modified Wrangler Sport Automatic. No base plate. Hook up to front bumper, "D" ring support. Road master A/T #6000 pounds.

Invisa Brake (in a dust/water proof Lexan box).

Blue OX is great for a heavy truck or SUV, but to heavy for me. The unit weights a ton!

Transfer case in N and Transmission in P, key in my pocket.

Happy New Year.