jreeves

New To Towing - Need Advice

Just starting the RV life. I have a 2015 35 ft Winnebago Vista, and a 2015 4 door Wrangler. We will be headed to Las Vegas from Cincinnati for the winter for our first long distance trip.

On the way out, when I pull in for the night do I need to unhook the Jeep before leveling the RV and putting out the bedroom slide?

Any other advice from you more experienced RVers would be appreciated. - Jim

Jim,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum. The only reasons to unhook for an overnight stay are:

1. You need to back into the CG site.

2. The site is WAY out of level and it would put a strain on the tow bar to level while attached.

3. Time to go out to dinner in the toad.

Assume you are set up with a supplementary braking system, lights, etc.

I think wolfe10 gave you the best answer. Most of the time when it is just a overnight stop and I have a pull through I don't unhook the toad. If you don't have a charge wire I would run the toad for a while to keep the battery up. I personally like to start the toad and let it idle and follow the recommended procedure of shifting through the gears before towing. On your jeep you may not need to do that but check your owners manual.

Bill

For an overnight stop I do not unhook my toad but I do keep the transmission in neutral when leveling in case the toad needs to move forward. After I level I then put the toad in park and remove the ignition key.