huffypuff

Comparing Coach Net, Good Sam & FMCA Roadside Assistance Coverage

I've been a AAA member since the early'70s when I drove a tow truck for a AAA contractor in Florida. 

When we bought our (used)Sundancer from CW, we were "given" a 5 year membership to GS. 

So far, we have not needed either service for our RV.

GS expired this last summer, and I Signed up for FMCA for three years.  I haven't used that service yet either. 

I have read quite a few horror stories about dealing with AAA when trouble happens. 

On paper, FMCA looks nearly as good as CoachNet. 

On 1/10/2020 at 4:01 AM, manholt said:

It also covers Travel Assist (we get that included in our annual membership).  

Yes, Good Sam Platinum Complete Roadside Assistance does that  also

4 hours ago, LRAllen1 said:

On paper, FMCA looks nearly as good as CoachNet. 

One small difference I noticed was that FMCA limits winch out to $500 whereas Coachnet provides for 2 hours of work.  Last summer we needed winch-out service on Canada Day in a rather rural area of Prince Edward Island.  I have no idea what the cost was but the wife of the truck owner told me that she had been given a credit card to charge everything to even before the truck reached me.  I paid nothing.

One other thing I want to clarify with Coachnet is that a couple of years ago they had to dispatch a mechanic to me.  At the time it was explained to me that they would cover the "dispatch fee" and mileage charges while I was to pay for labor hours and parts.  I can't find reference to this on the CoachNet website but I'm going to call.

We had a free coach net from the manufacture and picked up a nail in our truck not towing and coach net said they would NOT cover if since we are NOT attached to the RV.  

We also had FMCA and they said no problem and dispatched a tow truck to change the tire.  We were in truck stop when we call and FMCA said it would be 40 minutes to hour before they could get some there.  We order lunch and just sat down to eat when the tow truck pulled in.  So my only complaint is they got there to fast. GRIN

docj.  There's a rural area on PEI?  We fell in love with PEI last summer & my Jeep was all over that Island. 

On 1/13/2020 at 1:26 PM, manholt said:

docj.  There's a rural area on PEI?  We fell in love with PEI last summer & my Jeep was all over that Island. 

This was the third summer we've been on PEI.  We happen to enjoy the area east of Charlottetown where there are far fewer tourists.  We hang out at an RV park called Seal Cove which is on the River near Murray Harbour North.  Most of the people at the park are locals who leave their RVs there as weekend "cabins."  The town of Montague is ~12 miles north and has grocery stores, etc.  It's about an hour's drive from Charlottetown so it's not such a bad drive if we need to do more "serious" shopping.

IMO with the exception of Charlottetown, it's difficult to think of PEI as being much other than agrarian and pretty rural.  By rural I mean "not urban."  To me, miles of rolling farmland is rural.

We did not go there, we made east point, Norway & most of in between.  Got to check that out next time, we did want to do the Ferry from East end of Island...that was a big no.no. with Fantasy Tours. 

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Got to check that out next time, we did want to do the Ferry from East end of Island...that was a big no.no. with Fantasy Tours. 

With all due respect, that's why we have never gone with an organized tour.  We've done >65,000 miles around North America over the past 9 years all on our own!

On 1/13/2020 at 6:46 AM, CWSWINE said:

We had a free coach net from the manufacture and picked up a nail in our truck not towing and coach net said they would NOT cover if since we are NOT attached to the RV. 

We've been with CoachNet for 13 years now - I got a nail in the rear tire on my motorcycle one day and they had no problem getting me to the motorcycle shop for a new tube in the tire. No charge to me for the tow. We had an awning topper get damaged in the wind while driving through Arizona a few years back and CoachNet dispatched a mechanic to remove the topper for us, in a Pilot gas station. We had to pay his hourly labor fee, but no other charges. And then we had a flat tire on the motorhome once and they dispatched a truck to the RV park we were parked at, with a decent used tire that he swapped out on-site - we paid for the tire but nothing more.

Our CoachNet account is ready for renewal right now and we had thought about switching over to FMCA, but then yesterday I got an email stating that the FMCA roadside assistance will be going up in March to exactly what we pay for CoachNet - so we decided to stay with CoachNet!

Many people complain of the cost of roadside service for a year. CN charges $249.00 for the first year what is the cost of a tow bill people? Believe me it is more then the amount you had to pay to get the service. If you have a compliant on service preformed or misinformation that is one thing. If you are complaining on the cost per year then just pay for any towing or service request out of pocket then. It is funny people will pay thousand of dollars for a trailer or Motorhome and not bat an eye on the cost but they will complain on getting road assistance insurance.

If you don't want to get roadside rescue then just pay out of pocket and quit complaining.       

On 1/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, cwswine said:

Had the same deal when towing a utility trailer several years back.  It was Easter Sunday and I was locked out of the trailer and my handicap scooter was in it.  They would not cover calling a locksmith as it was not a RV.

Your Coach-Net Benefits - Premier Coach Membership Plan

As a Coach-Net Premier Coach Member you have access to 24/7 unlimited roadside assistance for all your vehicles - anything you own, rent or borrow - plus RV Technical Assistance, nationwide tire delivery services, concierge services, and more. Your membership also includes coverage for trailers, tow dollies, boat trailers, and utility trailers, along with valuable peace-of-mind benefits such as Travel Assistance Services, Emergency Trip Interruption and RV Products & Accessories Discounts. With Coach-Net Premier Coach you can travel in confidence knowing that we've got you and your family covered

i guess coverage depends on your plan.