2015 Newmar Ventana, just picked up a 2006 Jeep sport, first class A diesel ever owned.

Need advice on braking system. Sounds like Air Force One and M&G are top of line?

Input would be helpful, Thanks

I have the SMI Play-In-Stay Duo, made by the same folks that make AF1. I got it because of the coach I had at the time couldn't support the AF1. I'm happy with it and it continues to do well with the DP that I now own. If I had this coach at the time I opted to purchase my braking system, I believe that the AF1 would have been my preference -- however, I don't know much about the M&G, so can't really comment (other than it isn't compatible with my toad for some reason). All that I can tell you is that the SMI products are very nice, easy to setup for travel, and work well if you only have one tow vehicle (thus no need for portability between vehicles). Good luck in your decision.

Carl,

The M & G supplemental Braking system works best when you have Air Brakes on your coach. However they do make a unit for Hydraulic Brakes but it requires an air pump which comes with the unit.

The reason some vehicles can't use the M & G unit is a space problem under the hood in the towed vehicle. The actuator is a cylinder that goes between the Power Brake Booster and the Master Cylinder. If there isn't room for the Master Cylinder to move forward approx. 4" then they don't have a unit that will work. Lloyd's theory on his unit is that the pressure is applied directly to the Master Cylinder and not to the Booster. He ask, have you ever tried to stop a vehicle with power brakes with the engine off. It takes quite a lot of force.

M & G unfortunately can't make a unit for ever vehicle :( but it works great for the ones it does. :)

Herman

I second the M&G comments above. I have it on my 07 liberty. Had to move battery forward 1" or so which makes changing the left headlight a pain but that is just an observation, not a complaint.

Air Force One has been the braking system for us for the past 4 years. Once installed there are no adjustments--you forget it is there. Air Force One does exactly what it is advertised to do. In addition we purchased the SMI Care coverage--this coverage will replace any or all parts at no cost or shipping fees if somrthing gets damaged.

In October, our toad (unattached) was involved in an accident in which we were rear-ended and pushed into a vehicle in front of us. The front impact destroyed the breakaway device and the air-line connection. We called SMI and they sent all new parts to the repair shop to be installed--we paid nothing for the Air Force One replacement parts. During the repairs we noticed the wire cable on the solenoid device attached to the brake pedal was slightly frayed. We called SMI and they sent this $350.00 replacement part to us at no cost or handling charge. Needless to say we love Air Force One!

Another vote for Air Force 1 here. We chose it for several reasons:

1. Uses air, but has a small buffer tank (installed on the motorhome) so braking does not directly use air from the motorhome's air system.

2. Is proportional, so a slight touch on the brake in the motorhome, initiates a slight braking in the toad. The harder you brake, the harder the toad's brakes are engaged.

3. The piston that engages the brake in the toad is permanently mounted inside. There is NO setting up required when you hook up the toad. You just plug in the air hose into the front of the car and you are done. Like rwilli sates in his reply "once installed there are no adjustments-you forget it is there".

We love the AF1

You might want to check with Freightliner. Thought I read somewhere that tapping into coach air system would void warranty ??