nobra16

Monument Valley

Looking for some info if anyone has stayed at Gouldings lodge and campground in monument valley.

We have a 45' coach and curious if its a decent place to stay.

Thanks for any info.

I have stayed there a few times and think it's a nice place to stay. Sites are mostly red dirt and some are not very level. But there are great views.

We used to stay there a couple of times a year but after the last two times (about 4 years ago) never again. The view is beautiful but the clerks were rude and unhelpful the last few times we stayed there.

The sites have not been maintained and many are so unlevel that our levelers could not get the coach level and a lot of leggo type blocks were needed. For what we were paying - about $40 per night as I recall - I wanted a level site. Also with an artificial hip, bad back and knee that needed replacing I really wasn't up to placing blocks.

I went back to the office and VERY politely asked for another site. The clerk was rude but finally gave me another site. It was worse than the first and so short that I would have had to unhook the toad. I drove around and spotted an open site that I could get level on - there were a lot of open sites by the way.

I went back to the clerk and again VERY politely asked if I could move to that site since the 2nd one was not working for us. This time she was even ruder and gave me a lecture about how this was the last time that I could move and she couldn't keep changing my site. I refrained from telling her that if she had given me a level site the 2nd time there would not have been a 3rd move.

I don't know if the clerks are still that bad or if the sites have been worked on but I won't be going back to find out.

We just stayed at Gouldings RV Park in October in our 38' coach and had no issues with the staff. In fact, they were very helpful. Our site was level and the hookups all worked great. The sites are dirt, so if it's rainy, be prepared for mud. The location is spectacular, and in my opinion, worth the price. We were located in the upper row (site 40), which is where they seem to put most of the big rigs, and the view was awesome. There is a dry camping area within the Tribal Park, but this is just parking on gravel with a picnic table for about the same price.

I recommend taking one of the jeep tours. Even though you can drive your Toad on the "Improved Dirt" road to John Ford's Point, the Deluxe Tour gets you into areas of the park that are not accessible on your own. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable about the park, it's history, and the Native American Culture. Tours depart from the RV Park and you can also book them right in the park office.

Hope you enjoy Monument Valley as much as we did.

Safe travels!

I'd have to go look up my rvparkreview of a couple years ago but in addition to the lack of level I found a low voltage condition on the 50 amp circuit. Also showed on adjacent vacant sites. Fortunately, weather was such we could get along on 30 so I didn't try 50 to see what might happen. But because of those 2 items I'd check the site before I pulled in. Then again if they aren't going to let you switch .....

Actually, if and when we go back I'd already figured I'd go with the Indian dry camp sites.

We stayed there early Aug and found the sites to be what one would expect for the area. All dirt with a little bit of shade and views that you cant find any place on the planet. The staff was very helpful and the pool a delight at the end of the day. We took a sunrise tour booked by the staff and enjoyed the sun coming up over the Mittens.

Was updating the Big Rig Map tonight(http://www.mhrig.com)with Reviews from Bloggers and added two for Gouldings lodge

http://wheelingit.us/2013/04/13/rv-rv-park-review-gouldings-campground-monument-valley-ut/

https://rvluckyorwhat.com/2014/12/18/mitchs-interim-report-card-best-of-the-best-part-i/

Both of these stayed at Goulding and have detailed reviews