lylefikse

Slow Bedroom Slideout

Our driver-side bedroom slideout has all the weight of the king size bed on it. It has always been a little slower than our other sides but is really slow now. Sometimes it takes a second person to give it a little push while moving the slide. I know I need new house batteries and wondered if weak batteries could be the problem with the slide. We have no chance of moving this side all the way in or out without being plugged in to shore power or starting the generator. Really don't want to buy new batteries until spring since we are plugged in for the winter (Snowbirds). Anyone had a similar problem before that can give advice?

Lyle, I had a similliar problem with my bed slide which is also a king size. Mine was slow then it wouldn't go all the way out. I flipped the bed up and discovered the bed frame broke (wood) and was shifted off of its rollers. On ours you can lift the bed up (storage under it) and I also lifted the base off the floor (just slightly with a pry bar and looked used it to see how it worked. We have 4 sets of rollers built into the floor that the bed base sits on and somehow it shifted off of those and the screws were broken near the wall. I was able to reposition the bed back into its place and repaired the broken wood; I also reinforced it with basic corner braces from the hardware store. Had I not looked I would have never guessed it was off its track or broken since the actual slide was not sitting crooked like I would have thought it would.

I am still baffled how it broke.

Be aware that IF the problem is low voltage (battery or otherwise), you are running a risk of burning up a motor. Low voltage means higher current and more heat - the biggest enemy of electric motors.

Measure the voltage AT THE MOTOR (or as close to it as you can) when moving the slide and if it drops much below 12 volts you need to fix whatever is wrong (batteries or something else). Could be just a bad ground or other connection.

Lenp

Our drivers side bedroom slide has all the weight of the king size bed on it. It has always been a little slower than our other sides but is really slow now. Sometimes it takes a second person to give it a little push while moving the slide. I know I need new house batteries and wondered if weak batteries could be the problem with the slide. We have no chance of moving this side all the way in or out without being plugged in to shore power or starting the generator. Really don't want to buy new batteries until spring since we are plugged in for the winter (Snowbirds). Anyone had a similar problem before that can give advice?

I never run my slides with out either the engine running or shore power or the generator. All coaches seem to have different procedures for operating the slides but I bet you should have some other power available and not just the battery's. Especially when you know you have a marginal battery bank.

Bill

Lyle,

To check if it may be the batteries try using a jumper cable to your car or truck. With the vehicle engine running try the slide in and out. But since you are all set for the winter (snowbird) and wont be needing to move the slide till spring I would just wait till then buy a new set of Batteries and try the slide then. If it turns out to be the Batteries then you will be ready to travel back North.

Of course the slide may know there is no big rush for the bed room so it is just going with the flow. :lol:

Herman

Herman, I think I will try your suggestion of new batteries in the spring.

I will also check to previous idea that it may be off the track.

Not sure about the slow to use the bedroom idea.

Hope you're wrong about that.

3 minutes ago, lylefikse said:

Put new batteries in this week.  Slide works slowly but comes in without help and on its own power.

What is the procedure in your owner's manual? Some require the engine to be running to supply more 12v power. Are you hooked up to shore power?

Bill

Lyle,

Check battery voltage at the slide motor when someone stows the slide.

Could be poor electrical connection, could be excessive resistance/slide binding.

Finally had time to take apart the bed frame to inspect this problem.  Both of the rollers and the foot of the bed were loose and this caused the bed frame to drag on the carpet.  I simply tightened the screws on the brackets and the slide works better now.  It is still slow but I can't say this isn't normal for this slide as it had always done this since we have owned the unit.  For now I am satisfied with the repair.  I think I will try to find something to put on the carpet for the rollers to run on so they will roll with less resistance.  We did install an upgrade carpet and pad a few years ago that seems to make this slide work harder to travel over the carpet.

3 hours ago, lylefikse said:

Finally had time to take apart the bed frame to inspect this problem.  Both of the rollers and the foot of the bed were loose and this caused the bed frame to drag on the carpet.  I simply tightened the screws on the brackets and the slide works better now.  It is still slow but I can't say this isn't normal for this slide as it had always done this since we have owned the unit.  For now I am satisfied with the repair.  I think I will try to find something to put on the carpet for the rollers to run on so they will roll with less resistance.  We did install an upgrade carpet and pad a few years ago that seems to make this slide work harder to travel over the carpet.

Lyle, Thanks for the update. Wonder if another option might be a different style roller. Not knowing the space limitations, not going bigger  in diameter,but a little wider to spread out the weight or a strip of material over the carpet for them to roll on to distribute the weight.

I tend to call modifications or updates, the start of the domino effect!

Rich.

Lyle, to my surprise our rollers ride on stainless steel plates that are screwed over the carpet. It could be just that simple to source and fasten down.

Another factor could be a leaking return valve if you have HWH hydraulic slides.  On my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser my return valve leaked so badly that you could hardly get the slide out.  However, when the valve leaks the bed slide would also creep in sine the valve was not closing completely

We have had issues with slides in the past.  In one case we had to have the motor rebuilt, another a small toy got caught in the tracks and another the carpet hung up as the slide was being retracted.  The most critical prevention measure... the slides need to be treated with silicon spray at least once a quarter to keep them moving smoothly. That seems to work the best for us.

David and Sandy Fuller

The Villages, Florida

I had cable system on previous MH,  my system had pulleys on the corners where the cable changes direction 90 degrees.

These pulleys  are under significant and the bearing need lubricated regularly.

Jim

4 hours ago, lylefikse said:

Ours will not work with the key on.  So Gen or shore power are the only choices.

Our two smaller slides will work with the key on, engine on or off...the full wall slide will not work unless the engine is running.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, lylefikse said:

Ours will not work with the key on.  So Gen or shore power are the only choices.

See the manufactuers got together and pledged to never do things the same way. I have to have the key ON for my slides to work.:P

Bill

It is such a simple thing.

Slide will not work with the key on.

Slide will not work unless the key is on.

Slide wont work unless the ignition key is off and the slide lock key is in the correct position.

Slide will not work unless the ignition key is on and the slide lock key is in the correct position.

Back slide will not work unless the key is off but the front slide must have the ignition key on and the engine running.

What do you think is so confusing????:rolleyes:

Herman