Sign in to follow this  
jcuny98

Leaving RV For Period Of Time: Phoenix Area

I am looking for suggestions on how to leave my RV in a park site...outside Phoenix AZ. I will be away for December and January...and wanted to know if I can just leave the unit plugged in...disconnect water.. and set my heat pumps to around 55 degrees. It is possible that the temp could go down in the 20's (even teens..but less likely). If I understand correctly, if the temp in the unit goes down more than 4 degrees from the actual set temp, the propane furnace will kick in and bring the unit back up...also that would take care of heating the underbelly of the unit.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

Does this make sense.

Thanks.

We too are living out side of Phoenix. And will be going home some time in December. As far as heat I am going to set the heat pumps and then find a large external propane tank ( 40 lbs ) and set it up outside of my unit. With luck it won't get to cold. What campground are you in.

Depending on the type of house batteries you have, be sure to keep them properly watered. If they're flooded cell, 2 months is a long time to expect them to go without watering. Of course, if you're lucky enough to have AGM batteries, you don't need to be concerned. Also, if I were leaving mine, I'd bring in the slides to reduce exposure and heated space. And turn off the inverter and any other electrical devices/breakers you don't need on while you're away.

Dave Rypma

2006 Alfa Gold #4078

If it were my motor home and I was going to be gone for several months, given the temperatures you cite, I would drain all water from the supply and waste side. If temperatures were to dip just a little below freezing, your strategy would work but if the possibility of temperatures in the teens are a possibility, I'd drain the water. With storms power disruptions are a possibility. Take electric away for one very cold night and you've got a big problem. In addition, even with the electric, there are some lines that are on outside walls in most coaches, they will be at risk on very cold nights. The ice maker supply line on some RV refrigerators is one of these.

Think about the worry factor if you were reading about a cold snap in Phoenix and couldn't check on your motor home. Think about the cost of replacing broken water lines, water heater, tanks, etc. The prudent strategy is simply to give it the standard winterization for motor homes before you leave. Drain tanks and lines and either blow out the lines or refill with antifreeze (formulated for RV water systems) and don't forget to treat drains with antifreeze. You'll sleep better while away from the motor home!

We too are staying outside of Phoenix and going home for some time in December. I plan on setting the temp at around 60 on the heat pumps. I also plan on getting a larger LP tank like 30 lb and to hock it up externally . Where in Phoenix are you?

We are just west of Phoenix, for 5 years we have gone home Thanksgiving through New Years. We do not leave the heat on, but do have a reflector 50 watt light bulb in the water bay and I put up all the hoses. While it may frost, we have not had a problem.

If you have some one who can check on the coach I would leave the heat off and if it is forecast to be below freezing have them turn the furnace on to the lowest setting. Then go turn it off once the cold front moves through. Most cold snaps only last a couple of days in that area.

Bill