dobelbower

Securing Food In Residential Refrigerator

I recently purchased my first coach, a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus, with a residential refrigerator.

My dilemma: What is the best way to secure foodstuffs? I've read about using expandable curtain rods, which makes sense, but I've come up with another idea that I have not yet put into action or seen anyone comment about. How about affixing Velcro tabs to the rear of each inside wall (per shelf) and then using a Velcro strap to to go from side to side, making it tight enough to secure the food items on each shelf?

Has anyone tried this? Are the expandable curtain rods just as good or better?

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

We have a residential refrigerator in our coach and even in the mountains, have not found that food shifts enough to warrant extraordinary means. I guess part of that is having done a lot of cruising on a sailboat where the refrigerator sees a LOT more motion. Dianne does make an effort to have each shelf with enough on it that there is not much "wiggle room"-- even if this means empty plastic food storage containers.

The rubber non skid also helps with glass shelves.

We do use velcro to secure the freezer to refrigerator door.

We have a residential fridge also, the rubber nonskid as Brett suggest works very well. And as he stated, we also place empty plastic containers which are left in place most of the time because we just put "food stuff" in them as needed.

Our fridge doors have large bins built on them, that's where the taller bottles are kept.

We use the non skid rubber mats and the expandable rods, when the food count is low. My wife also stores items in reusable plastic containers and does the same as Brett mentioned, minimize the "wiggle room". Placement of everything is key, we keep heavier items low and she packs everything in there very well so we have nothing moving around. The rubber seems to work well, the rods are just for piece of mind.

We have a residential frig. We use the expandable curtain rods. They work great sometimes things do shift.

We've traveled for four years now, 40,000+ miles, and no problems. We put the rubber non-skid shelf liner on each shelf, tall containers go in the door, some like milk and juice are stable enough that we've never had a problem. We do keep a supply of soda in a "rack feeder" where the cans circulate from the top layer to the bottom where they are removed. We use a small bungee stretched from the top to the bottom on the front to keep cans from coming off the rack. We also use a small bungee to link the freezer and refrigerator door to keep them closed in case the magnetic latch isn't strong enough.

Walmart has slide in "Trays" in their housewares section which are 3 or 6 inches wide, 3 inches high and about 16 inches deep. We basically got enough of them to cover every shelf in the refer. They slide out easily to remove stuff, and keep everything where there are supposed to. You may need to adjust the shelves to accommodate taller items. Since we have a 2015 Phaeton, I suspect that we have the same Maytag three door refer. We have traveled for over 10K miles over the past year with no problems.

On edit, we use the same trays in the cabinets to hold glasses and cups to keep them from sliding around. Yes, we prefer glass glasses and ceramic cups to the plastic kind.

I don't have a residential fridge, but I agree things don't shift all that much. A little trick I have used for the few times that I need to secure food inside Is to blow up balloons. I use those office clips, the black ones that you have to pinch which are designed to hold large amounts of paper. I just use the smallest ones, blow up the balloon pinch it with the clip, put it in the void inside the refrigerator to keep things stable. Once we arrive simply remove the clip and the balloon deflates. I have never had one pop, but I use the thickest I can find (but not specialty balloons).

I don't have a residential fridge, but I agree things don't shift all that much. A little trick I have used for the few times that I need to secure food inside Is to blow up balloons. I use those office clips, the black ones that you have to pinch which are designed to hold large amounts of paper. I just use the smallest ones, blow up the balloon pinch it with the clip, put it in the void inside the refrigerator to keep things stable. Once we arrive simply remove the clip and the balloon deflates. I have never had one pop, but I use the thickest I can find (but not specialty balloons).

That is a really good tip! Would never have thought that one up myself. Thanks.

Can't thank everyone enough for your great advice. We are taking it out this weekend for the first time and going to get everything set up. I haven't any doubt but that the fridge will be secure!!!! Who knows, if we have extra balloons we might even have a party!