wolfe10

All New 2016 Honda Civic Manual Transmission TOWABLE!

I just received an update from the staff person at FMCA in Cincinnati who compiles the "Towable 4 wheels down guide" that appears annually in the January issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

This from the Honda factory contact:

Good news. I have confirmed with Honda R&D that the Civic Sedan LX and Civic Coupe LX equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels down, exactly the same as the Fit and HR-V manual transmission models. You can quote me on this info if needed, but it will take some time before this will be reflected in the owner's manuals for these two models. As I noted earlier, the Civic CVT models can NOT be towed with all four wheels down.

Thanks.

pic16278.gifThis is John Johnston, associate editor at Family Motor Coaching magazine. In November 2015 I received the email from Honda that wolfe10 posted above, which says the 2016 Civic Sedan LX and Civic Coupe LX -- when equipped with 6-speed manual transmission -- can be towed four wheels down. Since then, I've been occasionally checking with Honda to get updated owners manuals or other documentation. My contact at Honda describes the updates as a "slow, yet deliberate" process. On June 10, 2016, he sent me the updated 2016 Civic Sedan Owner's Guide (4-door). Please note that the Owner's Guide is a different publication than the owners manual. Below is a screen shot indicating that the Civic Sedan (4-door) manual transmission model can be towed behind a motorhome. My Honda contact said he expects other Civic Sedan and Coupe publications will be updated by the end of July, and when they are, I will post that information in the Forums.     

Honda Civic Sedan 4-door.gif

Honda has updated the Owner's Guides for the 2016 Civic Sedan (4-door) and 2016 Civic Coupe (2-door) to reflect that models with manual transmission CAN be flat towed behind a motorhome. You can access the Owner's Guides online: http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/warranty. Note that the Owner's Guide is a different publication than the owners manual, which has not yet been updated. 

image002.jpg

I'm considering purchasing a 2017 or 2018 Civic Si Coupe with the 6 speed manual transmission to flat tow.  The Si is not specifically covered under the 2017 FMCA Towing Guide and I wonder if it has the same transmission as the others. 

1 hour ago, williamrys said:

I'm considering purchasing a 2017 or 2018 Civic Si Coupe with the 6 speed manual transmission to flat tow.  The Si is not specifically covered under the 2017 FMCA Towing Guide and I wonder if it has the same transmission as the others. 

williamrys,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I would go with what is printed in the owner's manual, not what any dealer or even Honda phone rep said.  Honda has been cutting down on the number of vehicles they deem towable 4 wheels down, with perhaps, some of the decision made by attorneys vs by engineers.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

I for one would sure like to see the CRV go back to being four down towable.

I have lobbied to make it a "Option package" one fully towable with baseplate and lights wired. I would pay $500.00 extra and wait for it to be built.:)

Bill

2018 Civic

Does anyone know for sure if the new model Civic (2018) with the 6 speed Manual are towable?

Im looking for a new car and the 2018 Hatchback would do the deal if HONDA says it is “Flat Towable?” Thanks!

2 hours ago, messner said:

2018 Civic

Does anyone know for sure if the new model Civic (2018) with the 6 speed Manual are towable?

Im looking for a new car and the 2018 Hatchback would do the deal if HONDA says it is “Flat Towable?” Thanks!

Since the FMCA Towing Guide is not out until January, I would compare the towing section of the 2018 with 2017 owners manual. Probably better information than calling Honda and talking with a "customer relations person".

As Brett said, I would not follow "Honda Consumer Line" or a sales person, but do as the manual says, which would be even more reliable than FMCA or Demco.  If you have a warranty issue, Honda will quote and believe the manual for that make and model car....period.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:40 AM, wolfe10 said:

Since the FMCA Towing Guide is not out until January, I would compare the towing section of the 2018 with 2017 owners manual. Probably better information than calling Honda and talking with a "customer relations person".

This is John Johnston, associate editor for Family Motor Coaching magazine. I compile the magazine's towing guide. Regarding the flat towability of the 2018 Civic:

Honda's national manager for technical public relations has told me that when equipped with a manual transmission, the 2018 Civic Coupe LX and EX-T; and 2018 Civic Sedan LX and EX-T can be towed four wheels down behind a motorhome. But please read on.

The 2018 Civic Sedan's owners guide and owners manual (two separate publications) say it is not designed to be towed behind a motorhome. 

The 2018 Civic Coupe's owners guide says it can be towed behind a motorhome; the owners manual says it is not designed to be towed behind a motorhome. 

Confusing? You bet. I have pointed out these types of inconsistencies to Honda for several years. 

Because both the owners guide and owners manual of the 2018 Civic Sedan say it is not designed to be flat towed behind a motorhome, it will not appear in Family Motor Coaching's towing guide.

The 2018 Coupe will be in the towing guide (given that both the owners guide and Honda corporate say it is towable).  

Thanks, John,

Ya, very frustrating when a manufacturer's engineering, legal and marketing departments can't/don't get their act together. And with the manual transmission Civic being one the best vehicle in its category, a shame it is not on the "approved list"!

Ancient history-- I worked for American Honda in the early 1980's and then GM of Honda dealership (read that, big fan of Honda).