Sign in to follow this  
judatt

Roof Maintenance

Greetings, everyone. When the guy came yesterday to inspect our new (to us) MH and to coach us on how to use the various systems, he did an inspection of the roof. Our MH is a 2008 model and he says the various places where there is sealant (couple of skylights and various machinery) it is obvious that those seals have been repaired. They were repaired by adding more sealant. He says the best way to do it is to remove all the sealant and put all new fresh sealant. He says this will take about 10 hours to do and recommends we go ahead and do it before we have a problem.

I grew up in Oklahoma - we had a saying when I was growing up and that was a strong rainstorm was called a gully washer. Well we have had a gully washer the last couple of days here and there is absolutely no leaking.

We have another saying that says if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't want to have a leak and I do like to do preventive maintenance.

However, I am having a little trouble agreeing to spending $8-900 to get this done.

Any input from others? Thanks. David

I think you could defer this till after your trip. If you do develop a leak you can add a little Dicor self -leveling sealant on the flat surface and the non sag variety if it is more vertical.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=32127&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=Cj0KEQiAg7ayBRD8qqSGt-fj6uYBEiQAucjOwabOoixUPuTxkfq8fdHyVAZe5-N4h7lC_k6Z1Rxc7RwaAkd48P8HAQ

They have some videos on the link and there are others on YouTube.

At some point it will be time to do your Annual Maintenance.

I don't remember if you have had all your maintenance brought up to date yet.

Bill

David,

Yes, whether you continue to patch it and/or when you strip off the old sealant and reseal IS up to you.

Agree, in the short term you may be able to patch. But, at some point, it will need to be done correctly.

Another option is for you to do one vent/roof penetration at a time when it is convenient for you. Small bill

and no need to devote days at a time to it.

Rochel. Welcome to the Forum!

Your correct, but if David is my age (73) he may not be inclined to get on roof. Last time I touched the roof, was 26 years ago! I have my roof inspected each year, never a charge unless they do work on it. $900 to re seal is way excessive...I had all off mine done 3 years ago, when I got this coach and it was $613.46. I currently have a leak! But it only happens in rain like NE Texas had 2 weeks ago!

Safe travels

Carl

Carl, after 55 years of togetherness, she won't leave! I have this fear. My first wife will divorce me and the second one will not.

Rochel, Welcome aboard.

Rochel. Welcome to the Forum!

Your correct, but if David is my age (73) he may not be inclined to get on roof. Last time I touched the roof, was 26 years ago! I have my roof inspected each year, never a charge unless they do work on it. $900 to re seal is way excessive...I had all off mine done 3 years ago, when I got this coach and it was $613.46. I currently have a leak! But it only happens in rain like NE Texas had 2 weeks ago!

Safe travels

Carl

Carl, in order to stop all RV roof leaks is get rid of the lap sealant, self leveling caulking and use a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating then coat with a quality roof coating.

mjs14,

While I am a fan of Eternabond, I would certainly not generalize that it is the ONLY way to prevent leaks. I do agree that there are far better sealants available than many sold for RV use. Marine sealants are more expensive, but also better quality. For roof to cap seams, I am partial to Sikaflex 221. But, it is 2X the price of RV sealants.

Wolfe10,

What you want on your rv roof seams is a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, so your rv roof is seamless, the only caulking that you need to use is from the gutter rail down(pro-flex) by Geocel.