brown774

Slide Topper Cleaning

Over time the area where the topper rolls into has retained debris i.e. pine needles, how do you clean out that area, same problem with the awning also.

Thanks for any info.

Best answer is to access the top of the slide awnings-- either from roof or ladder. Use a broom or long-handle windshield washer brush to clean the topper. A good idea to use the sponge side of the brush and really clean it before storing it with the slide in. The rubber side of the windshield brush also makes a good squeegee to remove water from the top of the slide itself before stowing the slide.

I blow them off prior to leaving the campground with a leaf blower. If it's really bad when I get home or to our next destination I will do it again if there is less foliage coverage the campsite. I bought one of those little electric cheap ones from Sears for $19.95 a few years ago. I also use it for keeping the patio mat clean.

When we get home I will put both slides out and the awning out get my step ladder and do it again if it was not so successful at the campground.[/size]

If there is any chance that leaves, pine needles or sticks or twigs have dropped onto the motor home at a campsite I'll get on the roof. I clean the slide toppers but also make sure there are no sticks, twigs, pine cones, etc. on the roof of the motor home. Those objects are likely to blow off the roof and present a hazard for the toad. They could also present a hazard for other traffic on the road. If you can't get on the roof because of physical limitations you should have someone else take a look at the roof and toppers before you leave the campground to avoid damage to your property or the property of others. A long handled mirror might work to give you a look but someone would still have to go remove debris if there is any.

Once you have cleaned the area as Brett suggested, then as a regular campsite breakdown if is dry while breaking down, the blower as Joe suggests is a very good idea.

I use one of those cheap small blowers that Joe suggested, I keep some lightweight pvc pipe and fittings that are placed on the nozzle of the blower and aimed above the slide to remove dry leaves and other debris, this avoids using a ladder while away from home.

Once you have cleaned the area as Brett suggested, then as a regular campsite breakdown if is dry while breaking down, the blower as Joe suggests is a very good idea.

I use one of those cheap small blowers that Joe suggested, I keep some lightweight pvc pipe and fittings that are placed on the nozzle of the blower and aimed above the slide to remove dry leaves and other debris, this avoids using a ladder while away from home.

Great idea on using the PVC. Thanks.

...If there is any chance that leaves, pine needles or sticks or twigs have dropped onto the motor home at a campsite I'll get on the roof...

Same here...I'll sweep off the topper if they have anything on them, to include water.

mcmwar.  Same as above.  Have seen folks take the cover off to blow anything out...not needed.

On rare occasions, I have trees that overlap top of coach, leaf blower or water hose works good, same for under slide covers.