Sign in to follow this  
arthur.jeck

Towing 6-Speed Manual Transmission 2001 Miata

I have a 2001 Miata 6 speed manual and would like to tow four wheels down.

I been told it is OK, from Mazda dealer, they have customer that tows a Miata. I would like to confirm.

Does anyone tow a Miata and if so, what equipment do you use.

Thanks

AJ

2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Features and Specs
Features & Specs
Base Convertible(1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)LS Convertible(1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)Special Edition Convertible(1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)
  • Engine1.8 L Inline 4-cylinder
  • DrivetrainRear Wheel Drive
  • Transmission6-speed Manual
  • Horse Power142 hp @ 7000 rpm
  • Fuel Economy20/26 mpg
  • Bluetooth No
  • Navigation No
  • Heated Seats No

Two separate issues here:

1. Can it be towed from a mechanical standpoint. Here is where you need info from those who tow one or from a towing source such as Remco: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

2. Does the vehicle manufacturer recognize it as towable-- often a legal liability question as often as a mechanical one. Mazda has never (to my knowledge) recommended towing their products, even when the equivalent Ford product IS deemed towable. Since you are out of warranty, this is likely a non-issue.

Interesting that Remco says no "Must be towed using a trailer". The FMCA towing guide doesn't list it so I am wondering if anyone is making a base plate for it. Good luck I did hear of someone towing one but don't remember what year or details. Cars often change from year to year on tow ability. From what I have seen I would have to have some really good proof that you could do it with out causing damage.

Bill

Aside from the availability of a baseplate, the issue that sometimes occurs when towing a manual transmission vehicle, is that, depending on the design, the bearings inside the transmission don't receive enough lubrication. Even when trans is in neutral, there are still spinning parts inside. You can add a Lube Pump (Remco) to the transmission, and / or a driveshaft disconnect.

Aside from the availability of a baseplate, the issue that sometimes occurs when towing a manual transmission vehicle, is that , depending on the design, the bearings inside the transmission don't receive enough lubrication. Even when trans is in neutral, there are still spinning parts inside. You can add a Lube Pump ( Remco ) to the transmission, and / or a driveshaft disconnect.

The problem is Remco did not offer either they just said to use a trailer. I agree if you could find a driveshaft disconnect that would work.

Bill