astmi

Spare Parts

Last week a friend of mine who owns an 04' Mandalay experienced a blow out on a front tire. Obviously, the front fender has to be replaced.

We contacted the manufacturer to know that it does not carry body spare parts for this year model ('04).

Fortunately, we found a fender at a used parts center.

To me, it proves again that certain manufacturers (by chance not all of them) do not care about customers after the sale is made.

It is a 10 year old unit. Most businesses don't have the room nor assets to tie up into old and slow moving parts. It's not that they don't care it's just a business decision. RV junk yards have better deals for an OEM used part. B)

We have an '04 Lincoln Towncar, my wife's pride and joy, and when a few times in the last couple years parts were needed they had to be acquired in the "after market." As stated, dealers and manufacturer's do not have the warehouse space to to stock parts for older vehicles.

Now, with that said, if the area is "salvageable" like in big parts a good body shope can do wonders with fiberglass.

Used parts is a big business. There are several RV yards that have parts. As Wayne said the parts market is big. There is a place locally who will by running cars and strip them down for the parts. I am talking one or two year old cars not 10-15. He told me he could triple what he paid for the car or more by parting it out.

Glad your friend found his parts.

Happy Thanksgiving

Bill

The fine print at the bottom of most publications from the different manufacturers state they reserve the right to change anything without incurring obligation to previous buyers. Translation: they don't have to make any replacement parts once their stock is depleted.