brown774

Cleaning Shower Drain

After cleaning the drain is it advisable to use a drain cleaner to keep soap scum/hair out of the drain as a periodic maintenance item?

Thanks

I use a generous amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid as regular maintenance item down the drain of the shower and the kitchen sink, cuts grease and soap scum buildup, it won't do anything for hair, so I use an item called the claw for hair.

The dish liquid is much gentler on the tanks and the probes for measuring liquid in the tanks.

I found that by removing the hair with a ZipIt on a regular basis I only had to get rid of the soap scum once a year or so.

I did that by using Draino and let it sit in the drain for an hour or so then poured hot water down the drain. I dumped the gray tank when I finished.

Worked fine for 12 years with no damage to the system.

After 16 years I have never had to clean out the shower drain. A few years ago I had a leak between the pan and the drain so I had the drain out to reseal it with plumbers caulk. The inside was clean and free of any blockage. I wonder if it has anything to do with the soap used?

After 7 years of 55,000 miles of use I recently had to unscrew the top drain filter(little holes and a screw in the middle) and pull out the hair. Drained fine after that.