Sign in to follow this  
charleservin

Allison Transmission Problem

Hi we have a 2000 Country Coach Magna with a 4060 r trans with 97005 miles. 0n the last trip the trans went out. Shop said it was 4th gear failure and needed to be rebuild.

Has anyone had a problem with an Allison transmission-- if so what.

Thanks

Charles

Charles,

VERY unusual for an Allison to have a mechanical issue. Any sign of contamination in the fluid? A leak in the cooler if located in the radiator can allow coolant into the transmission, which will take out any transmission.

In the 97,000 miles/15 years, how many times had the transmission fluid/filters been changed? Transynd or Dexron?

Thanks Brett,

Had fluid change to transynd at 76055 and filters,always ran cool 165 until down shift to 5 gear and temp went up to 260 .Would not shift out of 5 ,turn off restart and put in 6 only free wheeled. Put in 1 and would only move a little. Got code out called Allison. They said gear separation of 4 5 gear?11k for rebuild.

I am sure that prices have gone up since we replaced ours, but check on an Allison "factory rebuilt" transmission. I found they were less expensive and had a 36K mile warranty where a local shop rebuilt only had 90 days or 3K miles.

You may have already fixed your tranny by now, but I would recommend W.W.Williams, Atlanta, GA if that is doable. They are great at rebuilding Allisons and they don't break the bank, very professional, massive shop lots of bays, fast work. They  do lot's of RV's., buses and other vehicles utilizing Allisons. They are also a authorized Allison dealer/repair facility. They have multiple locations, check out there web site. http://www.wwwilliams.com/

Good Luck!

There is water in the transmission of a 2007 Newmar Kountry Star motorhome.  I think the transmission is a 3060.  The transmission needs to be rebuilt.  Has anyone out there had water in their transmission?  If so, what caused it?

4 minutes ago, jjshadrock said:

There is water in the transmission of a 2007 Newmar Kountry Star motorhome.  I think the transmission is a 3060.  The transmission needs to be rebuilt.  Has anyone out there had water in their transmission?  If so, what caused it?

Is it water or is it coolant???