Sign in to follow this  
berginaperzina

Thanksgiving Dinner

This year for the first time we are going to spend Thanksgiving in the RV with family. I am debating ... cook the turkey on Wednesday and reheat it in the motorhome? Or cook it in the motorhome? Or buy a pre-cooked one. The pre-cooked seems boring. Am leaning towards cooking on Wednesday. What do you do?

I have an electric smoker that I use outdoors. It works really well for slow cooking a bird up to 20 lbs.

Most of you are used to hearing from my husband, Tom, but he asked me to respond to this one. I have cooked several turkey dinners in our Monaco. All of them have turned out better than the first Thanksgiving dinner I cooked as a newlywed (totally unaware that you were supposed to discover and remove a paper packet of giblets in the bird's neck cavity!!!). I have cooked both whole turkeys (10 pounders) and turkey breasts in my convection oven. They come out very well and you cook them exactly the same way you would in a regular oven. The hard part is finding enough burner space to cook the many other dishes that go with Thanksgiving dinner. The pie can be made the day before (if you can keep your husband away from it over night), and I substitute bread made in the bread-maker for baked dinner rolls. My stuffing goes in the bird, which means I can use my two burner stove top for potatoes and a vegetable. Cold things can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator and, after all, what is Thanksgiving dinner without a jello mold that is forgotten in the 'fridge until after the meal?

Our first Thanksgiving dinner on the road was a pure joy. It was just the two of us in a lovely rural setting, a bottle of good wine and much to be thankful for. Enjoy!

so you like the convection oven? this is the first one I have had, am a little afraid of it..... I will definitely try it for Thanksginving and I hope/am sure it will work out well. It has to be a great day as our family and 3 1/2 year old grandson will be there, it does not get much better than that.

Thanks for the response.