Sign in to follow this  
greenbarn1

Cummins A/C Belt

Hi all, need to change a/c belt on my 2004 Cummins 8.9 isl engine. Motor has separate belt just for a/c. There is a single bolt on small tensioner wheel. I loosened that bolt but still had tension on belt.not sure if it is frozen or I need to do something else.

Thanks for the help.

My last coach was a Sportscoach with an 8.9 Cummins, much older than yours, it used a serpentine belt for ac only. The tensioner on it was a GMC style self tensioner, behind the pulley there was a hex shaped hub that you put a wrench on and twist to relieve tension.

May not be your style, a quick look will tell.

We have an '05 Windsor with the 8.9 ISL. To remove and replace the AC belt you need to loosen the bolt and nut that attaches the compressor to the mounting bracket. This bracket is anchored on the engine block. Then loosen the tensioner bolt which will allow the compressor to articulate to give enough room to take the old belt off and install a new one.

Ok guys installed new belt. Procedure is there is a small idler wheel between water pump and a/c compressor. You need14mm socket to loosen bolt in center of pulley. Then there is a bolt (15mm)socket that runs thru the backside of idler pulley bolt.this bolt is used for tension on bolt. Whether to tighten or loosen the belt. However if you don't loosen bolt in center of idler first that bolt just threads in and out doing nothing. That was what was throwing me off at first. Hope this helps. Thanks again for the ideas.