rwitt

Portable Surge Guard

Obed & Wayne,

One thing we all need to remember, Water Resistant doesn't mean Water Proof. A bit of dew and standing water are two different things. So be safe and keep it covered just to be safe rather then sorry.

May both of you and your loved ones have a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year.

Herman

I also have a portable surge guard and always, when plugged into the pedastal, wrap a garbage bag over the surge guard, and then bungee cord it in place to protect from the elements. Has worked well during the past 2 years.

Obed & Wayne,

One thing we all need to remember, Water Resistant doesn't mean Water Proof. A bit of dew and standing water are two different things. So be safe and keep it covered just to be safe rather then sorry.

May both of you and your loved ones have a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year.

Herman

Herman, same to you and your family. I am looking forward to your posts in 2016 :)

Obed & Wayne,

Herman

I'm going to assume that by standing water you mean a surge guard that is submerged. Fortunately I have never run into that problem. Been in some torrential downpours and we have never had a problem.

As for thievery, I have a 1/4" chain about 3 feet long that I attached to the security connector on the surge guard and wrap it around the pedestal a few time and lock it to itself, and sometimes around the water faucet if it's metal. In the 8 years using a PT-50C Surge Guard protector we have never had a problem. As for someone taking it, well, a screw driver can get them into the basement compartments, or the MH door, and take anything they want. It's just a matter of "peace of mind" being able to lock something up.

Wayne/ mine stays dry and out of sight. Granted that the compartment doors are not very break- in resistant. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

ObedB

Missed this yesterday and apparently the night before waiting for the sleigh to arrive. So Merry Christmas back (belatedly) and a Very Happy New Year.

My saying is:

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.

Just one side note from reading the above responses, the neutral is often overlooked, and can be very devastating if it does ever open.

Happy holidays, Kay

On a properly wired 50 amp RV outlet with the two hots (L1 and L2) coming off opposite sides of the CG breaker box (the ONLY way you would have 240 VAC between L1 and L2) the neutral only carries the DIFFERENCE between current on L1 and L2.

So, if L1 is carrying 30 amps and L2 is carrying 20 amps, the neutral is only carrying 10 amps.

The vast majority (over 90% of CG's I have tested over the last decade ARE properly wired. Very easy to check. Turn on the CG breaker. Use you voltmeter between the two outer straights. If it reads 240 you are good to go. If it reads 0, it is not properly wired!

Just want to add one more note, I think that the surge protector you are currently using is doing its job. In a previous post, you stated that your lights were dimming, after correcting the open neutral problem, I am wondering if the light dimming has also gone away.

Would like to know just to settle my own curiosity.

Thanks, Kay

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 10:33 PM, huffypuff said:

I recommend Progressive Industries hardwired 50 amp EMS-LCHW-50. Lifetime guarantee if something goes wrong with it. If you go to one of FMCA rally, be sure to attend on of their classes.

Is this something that can easily install yourself, or does it need to be installed by the dealer or other professional?

Just looking at surge protectors and I'm a bit confused. First, do you have to buy different ones depending on what amp service is available at a particular site? Most sites we go to have either 20 or 30, but there are a few that have 50. Don't want to have to buy multiple protectors. Second, I understand hardwired is superior. How hard is it to install yourself? We're not at ALL mechanically inclined, so unless it's simple, we'd need to have it professionally installed. Is there a hardwired protector that's plug and play?

We recently experienced an episode (not entirely sure it was related to power surge though) where our AC units quit working (fan too) for several hours on both shore power and generator. Eventually, they started working normally again. This experience has made me realize we really do need a surge protector.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited to include coach info - 2016 Newmar Bay Star.

Edited by beachtraveler9
included coach info

beachtraveler9,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Surge Protectors are sized based on your coach's wiring.  So, if 30 amp, that is what you would buy.  If 50, that is what you would buy.

Adapters take care of getting "other amperage" CG shore power to your surge protector and then coach.

20 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

beachtraveler9,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Surge Protectors are sized based on your coach's wiring.  So, if 30 amp, that is what you would buy.  If 50, that is what you would buy.

Adapters take care of getting "other amperage" CG shore power to your surge protector and then coach.

Gotcha, thanks.

One thing to add to what Britt was saying. You can still use your 50 amp surge guard if you are plugged into 30 amp service. I am in a campground right now and have a 30 to 50 amp adapter plugged into the pedestal and my surge gard plugged into that and the shore power line plugged into that. I will be fine on 30 amp today because I don't need the ac as it is only 61.

Bill

Bill.  61 degrees?  Your not in Texas anymore ! :lol:  I think that's cooler than Alaska...I'm looking at 91 in Ruidoso, NM at 7,000'. :wacko:

Carl, Your very sharp at figuring things out, but being at 7000 feet and 90plus degrees could explain the confusion! Thin Air-LOL.

You do not need to pull the AC unit - yet! Pick out one of the vents(They are held in with screws) that is spreading the silver confetti and see what the duct work end(s) look like. Sure hope that you do not let out a bucket full, but then you might want to use it at some kind of get together.

Rich.

Carl, all electric coach connected to a 30 amp plug? If you need AC do you just cook outside? Or on top of the CG's tower :lol:

7 hours ago, Manholt said:

Bill.  61 degrees?  Your not in Texas anymore ! :lol:  I think that's cooler than Alaska...I'm looking at 91 in Ruidoso, NM at 7,000'. :wacko:

If you look at a map of lake Superior on the western end I am right on the lower point. closest town is Ashland, Wisconsin. Take it easy at 7000 ft, don't try running up the mountin.:o:P

Bill 

53 minutes ago, rsbilledwards said:

I am at 8050 in elevation in Evergreen, Colorado and it is 91, whoo'sa hollarin...?  It is officially HOT here!!!

Bill Edwards

Congratulations Bill you are the highest (should I use that term for someone in CO?) and hottest person on the forum.:P;)

Bill

Joe and Bill.  Glad your cool, I should be there but I have a Oral post implant appointment the 18th...there fore I'm in a oven at 7K feet ! :(

Rich.  Generally it's cooler in thin air! :D:P