Sign in to follow this  
flyer76

Toad Brakes Non-responsive After Towing

I am fairly new to flat towing...I am towing my 2011 Ford Edge behind a Fleetwood Jamboree Sport (Class C - Gas), using a Blue Ox braking system. After a few times towing, my Edge brakes are now not very responsive until you press the pedal for a while, and with more than normal force, then the pedal will "give", and get better stopping action. I'm sure it is something I did incorrectly, but looking for any advice before I go to the Ford dealership and have them yell at me for towing it wrong, then charging me $100/hour to fix it.

Not familiar with the Ford edge set up for flat towing but have used the Blue Ox Patriot system on 2 MH and 2 Jeeps...

The system has to be firmly set in position correctly, run thru the self test for braking pressures, and the gain set both at the unit and the remote monitor/controller.. probably to 4 or 5 for the Edge.. I used 5 on the 2001 GC and now 6 on the 2012 GC Overland because it's another 800# or so heavier... if set properly, brakes are not abused ..

If it was set too tight, it may have "ridden" the brakes but you would have noticed that on the remote panel if that was the case....

I'm not fully understanding your post. Are you talking about the brakes on your toad are not working normally when the Blue Ox is installed and behind your coach? Or, when you are driving the vehicle under normal conditions?

I'm not fully understanding your post. Are you talking about the brakes on your toad are not working normally when the Blue Ox is installed and behind your coach? Or, when you are driving the vehicle under normal conditions?

I believe he is saying his brakes on his tow vehicle do not function as they once did before using the Blue Ox brake system (Patriot) I believe. I too have notice a difference in my Jeep brakes, they appear to be mushier as they were more firm before. I have reduced the gain setting to 0 and loosened up on the fit in the vehicle. Time will tell. My motorhome does not know or feel like anything is being towed so doing some light testing at this time. I have also noticed a brake pad smell in the past but not now.

I also interpreted it as meaning his toad brakes seem to have been affected / worn out / after being used as the towed with the Patriot system... no question that it could happen if the Patriot system is applying the towed brakes too much, too often, continuously, or however more that wanted / desired / needed.

Maybe I've been fortunate but I've not had that bad experience - I do set it, test it, and make sure the monitor / remote shows me when the brakes are being applied so I know they are not being "ridden" or applied when momentum slow-down is just from a grade change, coasting , etc.

Correct setup adjustment is very important but not all that sensitive.

One of the problems with inertial braking systems used on diesel motor homes is that the brakes are activated by any retarding of the motion of the vehicle combination. When you use your engine brake down a long hill or mountain slope, the inertial brakes on the toad can be activated will remain on during the whole time the engine brake is on. This can cause serious burning of the brakes as they may be doing more than just assisting in slowing the toad. The brakes on the toad could be slowing the motor home! I don't know if you can adjust the brakes to be insensitive enough to prevent this and still get braking action from them when the service brakes are used.

One of the problems with inertial braking systems used on diesel motor homes is that the brakes are activated by any retarding of the motion of the vehicle combination. When you use your engine brake down a long hill or mountain slope, the inertial brakes on the toad can be activated will remain on during the whole time the engine brake is on. This can cause serious burning of the brakes as they may be doing more than just assisting in slowing the toad. The brakes on the toad could be slowing the motor home! I don't know if you can adjust the brakes to be insensitive enough to prevent this and still get braking action from them when the service brakes are used.

That is why I use air brakes with a proportional relay valve and separate air tank so the toad brakes are only on for the amount of braking of the motorhome.

Thanks for all the replies. I am referring to driving the toad under normal conditions, and after some more research am thinking it may be a combination of brakes having been overused during towing (gain setting too high), leading to a hydraulic problem. Once the pedal "gives," the brakes grab just fine (or too aggressively), which leads me to believe the pads are OK, so it may be time to get a professional to look at it.

Flyer, if I understand what you are saying is that your brake pedal sticks when you first try to use them after towing. One thing you

might try is to drive for several miles, safely pull over and check all the wheels on your tow vehicle. Put your hand on each wheel for heat. If they are too hot to touch you may have something putting a drag on your brakes. Most likely your auxiliary brake. That can be adjusted. But for the sticking pedal you might start with having the brake fluid completely flushed out. If that doesn't solve the sticking is a professional.

Herman

It also could be the accumulator for the antilock and traction control has bled down and lowers the available assist until the unit is operated for a short time

If the brake fluid gets hot from heavy use of braking it will reduce the performance of your brakes until cool down. Reduce the pressure setting on your tow braking system.