rfsod48

Carrying a Stepladder for Washing Motorhome Windows

Anyone carry a stepladder attached to the motorhome roof ladder? We are going on an extended trip and I want a stepladder to wash Windows. No real room in coach or basement.

Roland,

I have carried a fold up ladder for years. I had room in the bay with my fuel tank. I hung a large piece of PVC pipe from the frame above the tank. I put a PVC end cap on one end and a removable cap on the other. My ladder is a collapsible ladder that folds up to about 4" square.

Good luck on your trip and Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.

Herman

Roland,

This is what I use to carry my step ladder on the rear ladder. The top of the step ladder will slip over the rack. You will want to secure the rack to your rear ladder with cable ties. Then secure the step ladder with a bungee cord around it attached on each end to your coach ladder.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/over-the-ladder-chair-and-bike-rack/27584

I have enough room between the living room slide and frame on my pace arrow to carry a 6 ft step ladder. I made brackets to hang it on. Its out of the way hidden secure and easy to get. I did it 5 years ago and have had no problems, I have enough room between the slide and frame when it is closed to carry an even bigger one. I am thinking of going to 8 ft. I wish my Barker 42 gal tote was as easy to store.

I carry a four step all steel household ladder that I purchased at Home Depot in 2001 when we started full-timing. It is a very sturdy, stable ladder. It folds flat, about an inch and a half in thickness. The steps are 8 inches deep and the top step is 42 inches off the ground. It is 66 inches tall with the frame extending well above the top step. This provides a surface to brace your legs against to steady your position on the top step. Here is a link to the Skinny-mini ladder at Home Depot. This looks very similar to mine except I don't have the top tray for paint cans! I hadn't seen it in stores lately and see on the web site that it isn't available in stores. At $45, it is a reasonable price for an excellent and compact ladder.

I store it on its side next to the slide out tray in my forward storage compartment. It is easy to access and light enough to handle without strain. I can get to all the windows including the entire windshield but can't get to the top of the coach. I also use this ladder to get me onto the roof ladder at the rear of the coach as the first step is really a stretch for me.

I have the collapsible ladder. Easy to handle and store. Reaches up to the gutter on the MH.

I'm fearful that a continuous weight on the MH ladder with all the jostling going down the highway could damage where it attaches. Just my worry.

We've seen many RV'rs with ladders and camp chairs strapped to their roof ladders. A couple of months ago we met a couple, with a household ladder attached to their RV ladder, and they had painted the ladder to match the color scheme of the coach......most unique!

Why do you guys need a ladder at all? Before I leave home I take care of all up high and forget the ladder. When you fuel, clean the windshield with the long handled squegee. I have a two stepper that I can stand on the top while washing. This can be stored in storage bays. I dislike the look of a unit rolling down the road with all that extra stuff attached. Doesn't look good?

I carry a ladder so I can wash the windshield between fueling stops. I get a lot of bugs between fuel stops. I like to start each days drive with a squeaky clean windshield. I hand wash my windshield with a sponge and chamois. Periodically I'll give it a Windex wash and it gets Rain-X once a month. I've never found the squeegees at truck stops to be very effective in cleaning the windshield. The view is so fine I hate it when it is covered with smashed bugs and smears and streaks. When you drive in the rain then the side windows will need a good cleaning. The top of my windshield is nearly 11 feet off the ground so a two step ladder won't help me.

It's not frequent but there are times when it becomes necessary to access the roof and while I can get onto the built-in ladder, it is much easier if I have several steps to get me from the ground onto that first step.

We are no longer full time but I still wouldn't leave home with my ladder, it is my most used tool. If you read my previous post, my ladder is thin enough to store in a basement compartment so you don't see any stuff attached to my coach.

Why do you guys need a ladder at all? Before I leave home I take care of all up high and forget the ladder. When you fuel, clean the windshield with the long handled squegee. I have a two stepper that I can stand on the top while washing. This can be stored in storage bays. I dislike the look of a unit rolling down the road with all that extra stuff attached. Doesn't look good?

When I leave for the winter to snowbird I carry my 8 foot ladder with me for all of above what Tom says and more. I do not wash before leaving because it would be a waste of time with the rain and road dirt. Also the passes and snow you may run into will make the coach filthy. When I get to my designation I can wash and wax and rain-x all the windows and that will keep the coach looking good until driving in the snow or rain again. I don't care what others thinks of my ladder on the back of my coach.

I'm with Ray, if you don't like the looks of my ladder, look at something else, there are many beautiful sights that can be looked upon.

I wonder how those that don't like ladders feel about portable dump tanks on the ladder, (no I don't carry mine there)

I carry a 2 step for front window and a 10' collapsible, they both live in a bay slide out. I have always figured that anything mounted on ladder knows how to walk off ! <_<:rolleyes:

Carl

I carry a microfiber dust mop, and refills. with a long handle and a bottle of Windex. I can stand on the ground, spray the Windex and use the microfiber cloth to reach all parts of the windshield.

Have yet to see a roof ladder with a bunch of stuff strapped to it, laying on the side of the road, but it is crazy how much stuff some people tie to their ladders! They put a lot of faith in six or eight small screws into fiberglass!

Have yet to see a roof ladder with a bunch of stuff strapped to it, laying on the side of the road, but it is crazy how much stuff some people tie to their ladders ! They put a lot of faith in six or eight small screws into fibreglass !

You put your faith in them to a test every time you climb up on the roof.

Bill

Bill.

I have not been on a roof in 27 years...not starting now! :P I saw my roof 6months ago from my deck... :lol: Now I have a leak from AC #2, re chalk time!

Carl

Carl,

Most likely "suspects" on water leaks at roof A/C's are:

Loose or failed unit to roof gasket (replace and/or properly torque).

Crack in A/C cover letting water into the unit.

Clogged condensate drain (if it leaks when A/C running, not from rain).

Brett.

Thank you. Only when it rains hard, like we had in Texas 10 days ago! Have not had a problem since I got here.

Carl