gregrock68

Motorhome To Pull 15k-18k Stacker Trailer

J.

If read this link correctly, most of us can't legally go to FMCA convention this summer in Springfield, MA. :(

I believe we covered this "Can of Worms" in depth on another post last year! :unsure:<_<

Carl, agreed! I just fall into the "legal" side for a few states and I am only pulling a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Good thing the DW didn't get her 45' coach, I would have to park the jeep on the roof....wait, then I would be too tall, hmmm stand it up against the back wall, headlights pointed at the sky? :wacko:

When 102 wide units came out states took their time accepting them but they seem to be ok everywhere. I am surprised that some of the lengths allowed are not all that generous but surprisingly, the old fashioned state of PA allows 75 feet. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the world of twin trailers ( double bottoms to old truckers ). The Feds used the highway trust fund withholding threat to snag them. Most of the regulars here know that I have spent many years of my life on the road, and seeing a motorhome stopped by the authorities was a rare sight. They have too many other violators to deal with. Roll the dice and be nice if they come up snake eyes.

When 102 wide units came out states took their time accepting them but they seem to be ok everywhere. I am surprised that some of the lengths allowed are not all that generous but surprisingly, the old fashioned state of PA allows 75 feet. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the world of twin trailers ( double bottoms to old truckers ). The Feds used the highway trust fund withholding threat to snag them. Most of the regulars here know that I have spent many years of my life on the road, and seeing a motorhome stopped by the authorities was a rare sight. They have too many other violators to deal with. Roll the dice and be nice if they come up snake eyes.

Roll the dice it is, I would be over by 4-5 ft I know that my friends hauling a stacker have not had any trouble out of the state troopers due to length. They typically leave motor home owners alone from what I understand. Like classic car owners, Harley riders etc....I can attest to these since I own both and have never had an issue. A local sheriff even stated so when I was speaking with him.

At 58 feet including our toad, we would be legal in all of the lower 48 but MD and NJ. The roads that I use in MO would be the 65' category. The last few years of my trucking career I hauled ocean containers from and to the Baltimore Marine terminals. I traveled the Beltway around the city every work day and tag axle equipped coaches towing cars or large trailers were a common sight. I-95 brings a lot of RVs through MD.I don't remember seeing any pulled over by the authorities, although MD shows as a 55 ft. state. The cops already have plenty on their plate. I guess I better stop before Carl gets upset.