cpenn

Transfer Switch

Which 50 amp transfer switch would you'all recommend and is there a transfer switch with surge protection included?

I prefer Iota brand ATS for my use, and have never used an ATS with surge protection because I have an external surge guard, but looking

online, I did find one at Camping World. I can't vouch for the quality because of never using one, but the company is a reputable company.

Here is the link "http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=67210&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CKXxqIakhsoCFdgPgQod2OUD1w".

Happy New year, Kay

RV'ers that have been around for some years probably remember coaches with no transfer switch. I had to replace the transfer switch on our used coach before our first trip. If I lost another one I would consider going back to the fifty amp cord plugging into the generator output when you ready for travel. Worked fine on our 34 Georgie Boy II. Would that be good or am I missing something?

Nope, not a thing wrong with either manual transfer switches (very common on marine applications) or "unplug one source and plug in the other one".

In fact, both appeal to KISS theory people (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Nope, not a thing wrong with either manual transfer switches (very common on marine applications) or "unplug one source and plug in the other one".

In fact, both appeal to KISS theory people (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I use the "KISS" theory daily. Funny you mentioned it :)

I'm using the original transfer switch but installed a hardwired surge voltage protector before the transfer switch. This also protect from bad connection and or terminals on the cord or reel.

I have a Surge Guard #40250 combination ATS and surge protect & power monitor. It replaced a similar unit (AES brand. no longer made) that began to give false "no ground" alarms after about 5 years. The Surge Guard is now 6 years old and still doing fine. I think, though, that a smarter solution is a separate ATS and hard-wired power monitor. I don't see any advantage (including price) in combining them, and either function can fail.