Sign in to follow this  
judatt

Greetings

Hi everyone. Sorry i have not posted in a couple of weeks. We arrived in Brownsville on a Thursday and on Sunday we found out my Dad was not doing well - had an infected pacemaker. So, on Monday we headed to Oklahoma and spent the next 10 days at OU Medical Center with him. Then took him home on Christmas Eve and had a huge ice/snow storm in SW Oklahoma that knocked the power out for a few days. Once the power came on we headed south - met our daughter and her family in San Antonio for a couple of days and then got back to Brownsville today. I retired Dec 4 and we took a week to drive the coach to Brownsville and then sitting in a hospital room for a couple of weeks and in a house with no power for several days - I''m looking forward to doing nothing for a few weeks to really figure out this retirement thing.

We had turned everything off in the coach when we left and when we returned we turned the heat pumps on (its 55 here today) and the hot water and we did a couple of loads of laundry and cooked a snack for supper and everything seems to be working fine.

We had ordered a surge protector and it came in so I plan to install that tomorrow. Also ordered an adapter that you use if you have a 50 Amp connector and only have 30 Amp service available. Never know when we might need to use that adapter.

Getting ready to head to bed - I'm a big believer that like the old song said - it's 5 O'Clock somewhere - well it's midnight somewhere so happy new year. Everyone has been great and very helpful as I've had lots of questions since we bought our coach a month and a half ago. I'm sure I'll have loads more in the new year. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful to this newbie. David

Hi David,

Hope all goes well with your dad and you get some needed rest. Once you get the retirement thing worked out please let us know. We did same in September and have been non-stop since then. I often wonder how we ever found the time to work!

Gung Hay Fat Choy (Happy New Year)!

Blake

If you think about it, you have already figured out the retirement thing. If you hadn't been retired, would you have been able to make the trip to be with your father through his hospitalization and recovery? One of the privileges of retirement is being able to spend your time where you want to be. There will be time to relax and pursue your interests. There will also be times when you can put those things aside and take care of your family knowing that eventually you will get back to some of the things you enjoy more than sitting in a hospital.

We have been fortunate to be able to travel for family needs frequently since we retired. We've spent considerable time with our mothers during their declining years and their deaths (both within 3 weeks). We've been present for the birth of all of our grandchildren (not in the hospital but nearby). When our children have needed some assistance with child care, their own medical emergencies or moving to a new location, we've been able to drop all the fun stuff and pitch in and give a helping hand. We've taken all of our grandchlidren (except the latest, just 2 year old) on extended trips to share with them the fun of traveling in the motor home and explore some of this great country. We also get to know them better and vice versa.

So welcome back to the fun of retirement and the RGV. Have a happy retirement and a happy new year!

Happy New Year!

Been retired 31 years and have not figured it out yet! Seems I had more time to do things when I was working... :D