jananddave

Directv Satellite Dish

Our motorhome lives in a Motorcoach resort about 3 hours from our home. We visit the resort a couple of times a month. When we leave the coach to go home is it necessary to stow the satellite dish? Also, we have a TV in the living area and one in the bedroom.

The front TV always works well but the back TV almost always says error code 775, "having trouble communicating with dish". I've reset it, checked all connections and unplugged it from the wall trying to get it to work.

Help!

Do you have a winegard traveler SWM 3 lnb dish? We do and the set in the rear works perfectly as well as the front one. I get that message at home sometimes, and then I stumble through the menu to make sure the receiver is set for our older 5lnb non SWM dish. I eliminated the AB switch in the coach. Some disagree with me , but it is old technology that I view as one of too many links in the hookup (possible signal attenuation). I also placed the supplied splitter close to the cable that runs to the rear set. That way I can hook it up to the splitter directly as well as the front unit. No coupler and short piece of coax that Could attenuate the signal. Both receivers recognized the dish atop the RV automatically to my delight. Winegard has excellent customer service to answer your question about stowing the dish. Mine is stowed because the coach is in long term storage. For you, possible high winds could be a consideration. If the coach has not been moved , the dish finds the satellites very quickly from the stow position. If you need more help just ask. I am not an expert, but I have always done all of my installations including the Traveler.

We need to know more about your system set-up. What brand and model dish is on top of the motor home? How many receivers, I would guess 2 since the code you mentioned comes from the receiver. Is the second receiver at the rear TV? What devices are in the circuit from the dish to the rear TV? How old is the system and each of it's components? What make and model motor home do you have? Is the A/V system a factory installation? Has it been modified? Without more information we are just making blind guesses. Installation of A/V systems in motor homes varies significantly from one manufacturer to another. The more information you can give us the more help we'll be able to offer.

Hi.I have a New 2016 Fleetwood Bounder.

I want to get the satellite TV to work. All I know is it's a Winegard dish.There is ABSOLUTELY NO info on the unit with all the instructions with the RV.

Direct TV said I needed to purchase a receiver from Winegrad. Got a H24WG FROM THEM. Now even with help from Direct TV all I get is error code 771.The receiver is inside the bedroom cabinet behind the TV. Where the remote will not work anyway. But the Winegard coax cables and HDMI cables are there. And of course nothing is marked.

My dealer is useless.HELP!!! anyone have better luck!!??

Winegard Traveler Dish on top of motorhome factory installed?? You must have the Interface Box (controller) plugged into both it's power supply and the power inserter that also uses a different power supply. They should both be inside the rv out of the weather somewhere in a cabinet.The coax then goes to a splitter for use with multiple receivers or if you only have one receiver, you can bypas the splitter, but most newer units would have at least two cables for two receivers. Yes there is a receiver that broadcast signals to multiple TVs but I have no need for one . Two receivers two TVs On top of your RV there should be two cables from the dish going into the rv. One looks like an RG-6 from the outside, but it has multiple wires inside. It should never be cut to shorten . NEVER. The other is an RG-6 is single strand copper cored cable carrying the signal to the Interface box. If you can find all of the parts I mentioned and they are properly wired let us know or PM me. I did my own installation last August and everything works perfectly. Never had to call Winegard or Direc TV. Code 771 usually means that you are not receiving a signal. Code 775 means your receiver is not recognizing the dish but knows one is there. With a receiver out of site an H-24 that is an easy fix. I also have an H-24 at the rear receiver. It is set up to be used with an RF remote that can be purchased online. Then you can change channels with the remote and receiver inside a cabinet. You can find the RF remote at solidsignal.com. PM me if you like. I hope that this helps.

Did you put the card into the receivers? Are you speaking with a DirecTV tech. who understand that your unit is on a RV and not a house? Most Reps. have "no clue" so you need to ask for an RV tech.!

Carl

Actually his first step should be to call Winegard Tech Support. I talked to them when I was looking at the Traveler. They are very helpful and they are in Iowa instead of India. Once the screen on the interface box shows satellite acquisition 99/101/103. Then trouble shooting between the interface and the receiver starts. I can probably help him if he contacts me. As I have indicated probably too many times/ Did it all by myself. Most first contacts at Direct TV have limited knowledge. Maybe high turnover? Their tech support is usually pretty good, but you have to ask specifically to talk to one of them.

The direct TV guy was here this morning. My hookup is correct but he says it's a problem with the Winegard dish on top of the motorhome not receiving good signals..says all he can do is put a direct TV dish assy next to the motorhome.but to try a tech with Winegard first.

I been on hold for an hour and now just left a phone number for them to call me back.wasted hours so far on this. I think it would be easier to move to a RV park that has cable!!

You could have saved a lot of time and trouble, had you remembered why you asked for help in the first place and then done what ObedB suggested!

Hi all. I'm new here. We have a 2003 Monaco we bought used. We had to replace the Tvs and the satellite. We have a new Weingard and Directv. There is no "box" for the Weingard. The problem we have is getting local channels after we change locations. We have been told that Direct techs cannot work on Wiengard and that Wiengard cannot pick up HD. We had a service call in Navarre FL, and the tech changed setup to hide HD and then we got the local channels. Right now we are just north of Galveston. We have notified Direct of the change and I reset up the dish with new area code. We get channels 70 and up only. I talked with Direct service this am. We tried different satellite types with no change. So far we have tried different dish settings and get Xs instead of check marks. We have ONE Direct receiver only.

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips etc? We had it working before and now bleehhhh?.. In our last location in LA we used cable for local but there is no cable where we are now.

Bob & Janet Czapski

2003 Monaco Signature Surpreme, 45',

Hi I had trouble getting the direct tv receiver to work also and direct tv tech didn't have a clue.(He came to the RV)but a call to the tech support at weingard got me a person who walked me thru the setup.and it works fine now. of course I have been parked in the same spot for 2 months.

Do you have a Winegard traveler SWM three LNB dish on your RV?

The unit must have the interface box or it just does not function. That dish receives everything you could possibly want in HD. The local channels are lost not far out of your home area. You can get the east cost or west coast feed from the major off of the air networks with an application and for a fee. If they have started offering free off of the air channels with a phone call that is news to me. Of course you would have to get in line on hold to do that. Dish has done that for some time or so I have heard. I use park cable for local channels but the resolution is inferior. Is there someone out there trying to make me lose it ?

What Dish do you have? A tripod mounted 18" round, the oval 18 x 20 ", or the the large elliptical with 5lnb or the newer 3lnb SWM?

If they are mounted on a tripod other than the 18", they can be tricky to aim. The new Traveler on the roof aims itself with the interface controller.

Just get your RV level and things go well as long as you have a clear view to satellites 99, 101, 103 in the case of the newer 3 LNB.

Properly installed, it is very easy to be watching Direct TV in just a few minutes.

Our coach has a factory mounted 18" dish on the roof. I guess that there are other RVs out there around the same age as ours with the same dish. I have never tried to use it because it does not offer HD programming. IMHO once you are used to HD, standard definition just doesn't get it.

Hi I had trouble getting the direct tv receiver to work also and direct tv tech didn't have a clue.(He came to the RV)but a call to the tech support at weingard got me a person who walked me thru the setup.and it works fine now. of course I have been parked in the same spot for 2 months.

mwilson,

Have you gotten your problem resolved?

Hi; Yes after contacting Winegard tech support, she walked me thru the antenna setup and it has worked good ever sense. Then a couple days ago I figured out how to switch the remotes to Rf.and I was able to put the Direct TV receiver in the bedroom cabinet where the antenna wires/controls are and that works fine now too.My next job is to find some RCA cables and hook the other bedroom TV up as there is no more room for a HDMI plug.

Thanks

mwilson,

Are you needing the RCA cables to connect a second TV to the same receiver?

Does the second TV have HDMI? If so you can use a HDMI splitter, 1 in 2 or more out (I recommend a higher end powered splitter).

Connecting that way that you will be able to get a high def picture on the second TV.

Enjoy

M.W.,

I find Amazon is the best source and with "prime" shipping and return policy a good value.

M.W.,

For the sticks & bricks I purchased an HDMI RF transmitter/receiver. Nice small little unit and it works fine for sending HD to the back bedroom TV. As for the HDMI connector, they make a 90˚ adapter that may solve your problem.

Good luck.