Sign in to follow this  
sklare0000@charter.net

Extended warrenties for everything but the chassis

I use to have a Good Sam VIP extended warranty on our motorhome. It was not cheap, but when you consider that it covered the home and the chassis, I feel it was worth it. When you consider the cost of repairing or replacing appliances, it could pay for itself pretty quickly. I did not not purchase it on our latest motorhome and wish I had. A broken hydraulic hose in Canada ended up costing me almost 800 dollars! Of course, I think you have to be a GS member to purchase this one.

All that I know about cover both chassis and house portion. Make sure you understand that they are a service contract and some have many exlusions on what is covered and not covered. Good Sam VIP DOES NOT cover rubber hoses or any seals as part of their many exclusionary items. There has been a lot of discussion in the RV community reporting that Good Sams VIP extended warranty is not paying out and the company is finding more ways to refuse coverage. Search the various RV forums for further information. Read the find print carefully and if you decide a service contract (extended warranty) is right for you purchase one that has a Platimum or Supreme bumper to bumper type coverage with few or zero exlusions. Good Luck

Be very wary of buying an extended warranty. Do your homework before you sign on the dotted line. Check out the company with BBB or other organization to make sure you're doing business with a financially sound and reputable company. You could find out the hard way that not only was your claim denied, the company was no longer solvent or had disappeared.

If your RV is several years old, you might be better served to stash away the cost of a contract.

OF course these are just my thoughts, based on personal experience.

Steve K