Sign in to follow this  
jegall

Converter Or Smart Charger As Replacement

I have a Progressive Dynamics modelPD9155A 55amp original equip.

Interesting ! I would go with DD's thought regarding the replacement. Gives you some nice options and if you have the room for a good bank of coach / house batteries those options increase.

Look into a pure sine wave model and the output wattage and the charging current will determine the price range.

Rich.

Inverter/ chargers, particularly pure sine wave inverter/chargers are in a far more expensive price range than a smart converter or converter with charge wizard.

An inverter/charger would also likely require a larger battery bank to make the inverter effective.

So, jegell, please let us know whether you want suggestions for a converter, or inverter charger.

Brett - First, thanks for all the great advise I see over many RV links and moreover; happy late holidays to you and your family!

Next, since this chain is basis RV converters it brought me to a question. My Intellic converter went bad last spring, I replaced it with exact same amperage. (I believe that is 80 amp) and brand minus the wizard add on. All worked fine out the gate, but about a month later it blew two of the three fuses. I replaced fuses and all seems to be fine again; however, this past week I could not charge house batteries with alternator so upon further review I had found my White Rogers relay was bad; therefore, I changed it and also the bird regulator and all seems to be fine now.

So, my question, is there any relevance between this past weeks issue with bird / Solenoid and converter? Also, is it possible that when fuses blew I was not aware at time the issue was actually the beginning of solenoid issues. I think I'm a pretty good mechanic but this time around I am stumped, and maybe I just got a new bad converter. Again, thanks for all the great reads over the years and just in case you wonder, unit is a 04 GS Creschendo 8356, Cat C7 Acert and Freightliner Chassis... Best Regards, Jr

Juan,

Not sure any of us can accurately reconstruct what happened, but I tend to doubt that many electrical issues in such a short time as unrelated.

A DIGITAL VOLTMETER is your friend when electrical issues occur-- a basic in any RV's tool box. It will tell you instantly exactly what is happening with each of your battery banks.

One thing does concern me-- do I understand correctly that you did NOT go back with the Charge Wizard? That turns your "dumb" converter into a "smart" one and is a very good addition.

Brett - First and foremost, thanks in advance for prompt response! Next, you are correct that I did not add the charge wizard to the new converter, my only reason is based on this position. 1) Original converter did not have this, not that this makes it right. 2) I happen to have a phobia about drilling and or cutting holes in any surface, as I believe keeping my vehicles in factory condition as much as possible; and lastly, my particular converter is mounted under bed at head end; so,if I even considered cutting wood on side of bed it would be so low to the floor that I was not sure this would bring any added value to converter

However, with all this said. I certainly respect your position and I will immediately begin searching and learning more of how the charge wizard operates, and yes, you are also correct for some odd reason why do not have a volt meter but absolutely ever other hand made tool possible, that will change this weekend!!!

As always Thanks!!!

Best Regards

Juan Amador, Jr

I had to chuckle at the comment about drilling holes in your coach. I read a posting a few years ago, can't name the author, said it was a bad day when he hadn't drilled a hole in his motor home! :D