somethinsup

Tire Dilemma

First let me start by saying this is my first post. I drive a 45 foot Haulmark on a Freightliner Coronado body and love it.

I was doing a routine inspection and noticed some serious cracks in the sidewalls of the steer tires. They are Michelin XZA2 size 295/80r22.5. I started doing some research on different RV forums and found this is a major problem with this particular tire. I could not find any recalls, but did find that Michelin has made some offers to consumers to help replace some of these damaged tires. I also found this tire has made its way to the NHTSA web site stating some catastrophic failures. I called Michelin about the tires, and I have to make an appointment to have the tires evaluated.

Here is my dilemma. I know I am going to have to replace two steer tires. I priced Michelin at a local dealer and thru the Michelin Advantage program. I can save about $50 a tire thru the program. Two tires mounted and balanced cost about $1600. I did some research on other brands. Hercules, Toyo, Goodyear all have tires of the size needed. Goodyear is a little cheaper, but have just as many reported failures if not more than the Michelin. Toyo's seem to have a rough ride, and Hercules seem to not wear well. Two Hercules or Toyo cost about $800, half the price of Michelins. Michelin's XZA2 is the highest priced tire they make in the size needed. It appears this tire was created for the RV industry. From what I could find this tire has the most failures. It just seems like if Michelin is so proud of this tire, it would not have the sidewall issues. So what is a body to do?

Bummer on your tires. Can you tell us the date code on your tires?

Personal experience here. I would stay away from the Goodyear tires. Our coach came with them (brand new) and I was really never happy with the ride. Upon we replacement of the Goodyears to Michelin we could not believe the difference in ride. Our Michelins are now 5 years old with no visible sign of cracking. But, given the age we will replace then within next 18 months.

Blake

I just replaced steer tires which were Michelin with Firestone tires and so far they seem to be fine. I will know more in a few weeks as we will be traveling from Michigan to Arizonia . My bill was $900 out the door from truck tire store.

sumthinsup,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

You might take a look at Hankook Bus Tires. Have heard some good feedback form some owners that like them.

Check on rim size and RPMs per mile and that the circumference of the tires match when inflated to 110 lbs - need to be within 3/4in in circumference.

Remember to reset the pressures to the required levels for the load.

You need to know there enough clearance between the tires when used in the duel configuration.

http://www.hankooktire.com/global/tires-services/trucks-buses.html

Matching tires from different suppliers and age is challenging, but the reward is knowing you will have a safe ride.

Rich.

I've been a long time Goodyear customer and switched to Michelin in the fall of 2013, steer tires only. There was a significant difference in the ride, the Michelin tires ride much smoother. With Goodyear I was always fighting to get the tires as round as possible to reduce the vibration. With the Michelin's the out of round condition was not a problem at all, they both measured well within tolerance and the vibration I had with Goodyear is gone. The load ratings are a little different, I have to run the Michelin's at 115 PSI, Goodyear's carried the same load on the front axle at 110 PSI.

I am willing to spend a little more for a good tire. I have been replacing tires two at a time, moving the tires from the steer to the rear replacing the oldest tires on the rear. This year I'll have to do four tires, two steer and two rear and move the Michelin's from the steer to the other side rear so all the tires are the same type. So far, I've had no problems with the condition of the Michelin's but two years is hardly a service length that would be an indication of serviceability. I expect to drive 60,000 to 80,000 in the six years a tire is on my coach.

I had two blow outs with Goodyear, the first a steer tire with minimal damage. That is why I want the tires on the front to go no more than two years. The second blow out took off the fiberglass panel from behind the rear tire to the back of the coach. That was the last straw, I switched. If you don't put many miles on a coach and the miles aren't necessarily tough (cool weather, good roads, light loads) then a cheaper tire might work fine. The ad says, "You have a lot riding on your tires." This is particularly true with a motor home.

I'm with Tom, two year steer, I have posted this before. Rich pointed out Kumho brand, I have had very good service out of that brand. Also have had good luck with Sumatomo.