DBianchini

Used High End DP: Prevost, Newell, Foretravel, Monaco

Im looking for advice or opinions on the differences on owning a bus conversion vs a high end purpose built DP.

A little history on me. My parents had a slide on camper, I bought Lance in 92'. Out grew it by 97' and purchased a new HR Endeavor 330 hp cat, single slide. At over 110k miles, i'm looking to upgrade to bath & 1/2, and more power to pull my (12k max) trailer.

I am a DYI guy. I somewhat enjoy doing maintenance, and major repairs. I don't want to buy a constant project. I've owned several semi trucks. They are designed to be repaired easily (relative to my HR).

I would consider a semi conversion but I've not seen the high end quality that I find in Monaco, Beaver, Prevost, Newell, Foretravel etc. Also, I can see on multiple passenger trips, giving passengers motion sickness, with lack of forward vision.

My trips are maybe 60% driving, 40% just overnight. I enjoy the open road. So the ride, ease to repair, comfort and quality are very important.

I've spent a lot of time reading your Forum and enjoy the wisdom. Just became a FMCA member tonight because of the honest intellect on the Forum.

Welcome to the Forum.

You'll need to look at coaches with higher HP options to tow your 12k trailer. For example: our Monaco is rated to tow 10k. It has a Cummins 400. But the new Monaco Dynasty with the 600 HP Cummins is rated to tow 15k. We test drove a new Dynasty a couple of months ago and in just my opinion, it did not ride and handle as well as our current coach.

You might look at the Entegra line of coaches. The Cornerstone and Anthem are beautiful coaches and I believe they are rated to tow a trailer as heavy as yours.

Newmar also makes a line of coaches that are top notch.

Lurk around this website and go kick tires at your local dealers when you get a chance.

www.mhsrv.com

Blake

We full timed for years and when we look at coaches, we're looking for livability. We don't tow heavy so our preferences may not apply here. The ultimate pulling power would be the bus conversions but the livability in those coaches drops considerably when you look at practical things like the kitchen/pantry, closet and storage space. Most that we have looked at are more designed as party buses than for full time living. I'm sure that some would find them workable for their living style but as a full time coach, we don't see them as more desirable. The same goes for some of the other high end coach models. Within any brand we see some coaches that have plenty of storage space and others of the same brand that have little storage space. That isn't bad, everyone has different ways to use their coach. Some vacation, some tailgate, others boondock, each would be interested in a different kind of coach - so there are models for most everyone!

I converted my own coach from a MCI. The MCI line is one of the easiest to maintain, as the bus from my coaches period of time was actually owned by Greyhound, not the same now.

The engine is on a slide that exits the rear on a rail designed for just that. The Monocoque frame design has rigidity that insures almost no movement of the floor and walls, therefore the granite floors have not cracked.

Having owned two previous motorhomes, I used the most unique features that we thought to be most appealing to our lifestyle. With all this said, of the factory built units available, my first choice would be Newell, the coach is built to same standards as any commercial coach, with the exception that it was designed to be a motorhome.

Next line would be Country Coach in any bus, MCI, Prevost, Vanhool or others. There are several converters that make quality conversions including Evolution. Evolution is where I toured and got tutoring before starting my conversion.

If looking for an older good coach, don't discount Wanderlodge, I have toured their facility while they were still in business.

This is of course from my perspective on conversions, many motorhome manufacturers make quality units.

Good luck hunting, Kay

Thank you all for the input. I do want, like, enjoy, big torque motors. I've thought I wanted the isx cummings with 650 hp, but as I have read elsewhere, burning exhaust valves is not cool.

Wolfe10, I live in the sf bay area, so most any trip will send me across the grapevine, sierra's, or Siskiyou's. Its nice to have the power going up, and a jake brake that can keep all that weight under control on the back sides of the mountains.

We full timed for 2 years in a 35' so I know how to get by with very little storage.

Check out the mid 90's Blue Bird Wanderlodges with the Detroit Series 60 engine. Very well built, top end bus. I have a 1990 BB with the 8v92 Detroit. 475 hp

Ernie, Kay made no mention of Wanderlodge being a conversion.

Prevost is also nice....but it all depends on how much he can spend...the last inquiry we had, it was $120K max and that is way low!

I mistakenly said conversion, then Erniee corrected me. I edited the post to take out conversion, as I did say it wrong.

Wanderlodge was a "sister" company for lack of better words, to Bluebird bus company. Bluebird made the bus that was sold for many years to school systems throughout the U.S., and probably others. The coach was produced specifically to be used in the build of the Wanderlodge motorhome.

There have been plenty Bluebirds that have been converted , mostly known as schoolies, the likes of which is my current project for my youngest daughter.

Kay.

If I remember correctly, Bluebird came out with their first Motorhome in 1973 and it had a Ford engine. Next, they used the 3208 Diesel aspirated and non aspirated. They came out with the Wanderlodge, top of the line coach, around 88' or 89'. Then the BMC.

I don't remember the year that Bluebird made their last RV Coach...but they where top end coaches! I almost bought a 1985 DP 35', my wife won, she wanted a Barth.

Bummer!

Thanks for the input from everybody. I was at a RV show today, talking with salesmen. I am always skeptical about what they say, but there is always a bit of truth in the their statements also.

Again looking for input. RV's built on a rail chassis vs one on a monocoque chassis. The first will flex too much over time and wear out the wood, nails bolts, or welds, therefore more squeaks, rattles, failures, eventually leaks and water damage. I,m seeing the beginning of this at 110k on my HR, on a Freightliner 4 air bag rail.

BTW, Newell, Foretravel, Prevost, are looking to be top favorites. 8 to 10 years old may be the sweet spot for me.

DBianchini,

While there is some truth to the monocoque is more rigid than a frame rail coach, do take the salesman's statement with a grain of salt.

There is a fairly wide range of quality/strength in frame rail coaches-- kind of like saying all unibody automobiles are the same, all Fords are the same, etc. Just isn't so.

Manholt said, " Newell would be my choice. Don't forget that 06' to 10' was not good years for the RV Industry!"
Carl

Is it a common to have problems from these years of manufacturing? Were they cutting corners to stay in business?

Don't really know what they where doing, other than scrambling to stay afloat...a lot of them went BK in one way or another! Monaco and the others that Monaco owned, Fleetwood and Alfa, those where the "big ones". Winnebago and Tiffin was not in trouble.

Some conversion mfgs. like Featherlight and Foretravel also had to re organize. Sad to say, but I think the best rigs out there today where built prior to 06'!

I have a 10' and the second owner. I was lucky! Would not do it again! I have noticed that the price for a 02-05 Dynasty has increased in the past 5 years, not decreased!!!!