blakeloke

Walk Around At Every Stop

Hey Gang,

I wanted to share an experience we had recently on a trip from the Houston area to Lake Fork Texas a few months back. I really should have shared this earlier so apologies for the delay.

We've been motor homing for over 10 years now and have made a habit to perform a walk around of our coach and toad each time we stop for a break. The walk around usually includes a tire check and always includes an inspection of the toad connection, hitch and drawbar.

On this particular walk around we just happened to stop at the Lowe's in Lufkin Texas to water the pups and take a stretch break. Lo and behold when I was looking over the hitch I noticed the tumbler lock missing from the lock pin on the hitch and the pin had started working it's way out of the receiver and hitch.

Fortunately we were at Lowes and were able to buy a new pin and lock.

On our way again and reflecting on what we found, and what could have happened (our toad is a Dodge 3500), we realized that our walk around habit is invaluable as we could have had a significant event that may have caused harm to someone else.

I'm pretty good about checking and double checking things before we head out on the road and it could have been I didn't check the lock to ensure it was secure......dunno for sure if the lock failed or it was me.

Safe travels folks and remember to do a walk around at every opportunity.

Blake

As a previous 5th wheel owner, I got in the habit of always checking everything at each stop. There were some people that thought it was funny to pull the fifth wheel hitch release and then watch as the trailer crashed down on the truck. I had locks on mine but still did the walk around each time. I am a retired aircraft crew member so it was something that was ingrained in my mind many years ago. Good catch on yours.

Blake, Good advice. I also do the same when we stop, never thought to pass it on someone new to this might not think of it.

I also always do a pretrip inspection on the coach and toad prior to pulling away from the house.

Glad you found that pin before your Dodge found you, :o

I generally make it a practice to drive a short distance when we leave home, a campground or an overnight parking spot, just to give everything a look before driving for a long distance. It gives me a chance to look at everything one more time before we drive for hours and hours with something going wrong. I also have more peace of mind knowing that I've looked at everything again.

Looking at everything is really difficult, there are things that become so routine that you don't check carefully. I have a habit of hanging the wash brush on the rear ladder to dry. One time in Alaska we had driven for a while and as I did my check there was the wash brush still lodged on the ladder where I left it. We'd gone about 40 miles and it was still there. Don't have any idea how long that would have lasted. Now I always look at that ladder to make sure the brush isn't there.

I had the same problem. The lock had not been put on securely and fell off. The pin had worked it's way partially out. At that point I replaced the locking pins with old fashioned pins and fold over locking rings. You are absolutely right about the need for a walk around any chance you get.

If you don't do a walk around at every stop while taking the CDL course/license test, you will fail. Yes that is a very good practice.

Last December in getting off to Tennessee in the coach, I had already done the walk at home, my wife needed to go to bank before hooking the toad to the coach. While hooking up, I looked under the coach just as antifreeze started pouring. Water pump had

gone bad, that quick.

As stated above regarding the 5th wheel hitch release it has also been a concern regarding the 4 corner pins holding the entire hitch on to the truck. I heard of one incident where the pins were pulled while the owners were in the truck stop. The results can end up with the 5th wheel landing on the ground.

Good information on checking when stopping. Thanks for bringing it up.