rfsod48

I 30 Little Rock to Dallas

Question

Has anyone recently traveled I30 Little Rock to Dallas? This is a possible route for us on our trip to Arizona.

Thanks,

Roland

Hi Bill,

I was wondering about the condition of the road and drivability. Any recommendations as to campgrounds? Depending on weather this may be the way we go.

When I head out North East, Little Rock is my favorite first day stop. Downtown Riverside RV Park

250 S Locust St, North Little Rock, AR 72114, northlittlerock.org, (501) 340-5312

I-30 is like a lot of roads some good areas some not so great. I thought 40 west of Littlerock was much rougher.

What route are you taking to get to Little Rock?

Bill

It all depends on weather, we might go straight south and then would go thru Nashville but if we can we will go thru Indianapolis and get 57 in Effingham Illinois to 55 and Memphis.

We plan to leave the 23rd of January. Have reservations in Phoenix for all of February. We are allowing travel time and maybe a short stop in Memphis if weather allows.

Roland

Not a problem just keep an eye on the long range weather reports. If a storm does catch you just stop for a day or so till things improve.

Bill

I-55S, about 5 miles from Memphis is a good campground. Agree with Bill on Riverside in Little Rock. Since I generally come from Gladewater, TX.

When going East or West on I-30, West bound I don't stop until Abilene, TX.

If you have time, take I-30 to Mt. Pleasant and get on Hwy 271S to Gladewater, stay at Antique Capital of Texas RV Park, very nice. Then go Hwy 271

to I-20W...nice little side trip on good roads!

Roland,

If you are a golfer then there is another park near Gladewater, Texas. Shallow Creek. Nice park, all concrete and on the Shallow Creek Golf Course.

It is about 7 miles south of Gladewater and about 2 miles from I-20.

Herman

Thanks Herman,

I do plan to bring my sticks and punish that little white ball. Only wish I could get it to go where I want!

At the risk of getting in trouble with all the women out there, I think golf balls are female. They never seem to listen no matter what you tell them.

If the weather forecast holds we may take I 40 to Amarillo, from there are the roads good to Lubbock and I 20? I don't think we want to try Albuquerque and Flagstaff. This route would save about 250 miles. We plan to leave 1/23/2016 from Michigan.

Roland

Sorry Roland, I got carried away with all the great places between Tenn. and AZ. Gladewater is way south of I-30. Shallow Creek is still a nice C/G but a little far south.

If you go I-40 there are several Parks in Amarillo. On the West of Amarillo there is the small town of Vega. On the Business I-20 there is a good over night stop, I believe the name is Walnut RV Park.

If you go through the Dallas/Ft. Worth on I-30 I would pick up I-20 (I-635) and skirt the southern side of Dallas. And staying on I-20 you do the same to Ft. Worth. I-20 and I-30 merge into I-20 on the West side of Ft. Worth. In Weatherford there is a nice park, Oak Creek. It is right on I-20. Nice park with level concrete pads. With the dropping of the pricing of oil, you should find plenty of RV Parks in the Midland/Odessa area.

When going through Midland check out the Comparative Air Force at the Midland/Odessa Airport.

As said before watch the weather on the roads west of both Amarillo and Abilene. This time of year the weather can be nice one day and rough the next.

Enjoy your trip and AZ.

Herman

Roland, What am I missing? You wanted us to help you pick a route that keeps you out of the bad weather or gets you south as fast as possible right? What are you doing looking at I-40? Do you feel the need to go try to eat the big steak in Amarillo? By the way it is 21 with a freezing fog advisory tonight in Amarillo.

Go read my earlier recommendations.

Bill

Bill,

I am just looking at future weather, am going to Memphis and decide from there. I know as you have said that further north route is more likely to have bad weather and more than likely will go towards Dallas. That steak does sound mighty good! Campgrounds around there have free limo service to the restaurant. I am using 5 different weather sites so hopefully I will catch everything. Just getting anxious to get going.

Roland

I live just north of Louisville and when we travel to TX we started going out I-64 and picking up I-57 to I 55 and then west on 40 to 30 in Little Rock. We just came back after Thanksgiving and the roads were in good shape. I have never been able to get through Nashville without a headache. They are always working on the road and the traffic is terrible.

Rick

Thanks Rick, that is probably the way we will go. We are leaving this coming Saturday from Fenton,Mi.

Roland

Carl,

I didn't bring up Nashville, Rick just said he had trouble getting thru there. I am watching weather and will decide what way we will go from Memphis. More than likely we will go southwest towards Dallas. However the steak that Biil mentions does sound mighty good!

Roland