Sign in to follow this  
mjlayton

96 Dolphin 7.4 Vortec No Fuel Pressure

We recently purchased this motorhome and began maiden voyage from Terre Haute, IN to Charleston, SC. Just inside TN we stopped at rest area, when we restarted ran very rough and died. Cranked fine would not fire. Let it set for a few minutes, started and ran fine. Drove toward Knoxville for about 30 miles and decided to top for our first fill-up. Started, ran poorly as before, died, and would not re-fire. Plenty of spark, bought starting fluid, it would fire right of with a little spray in the air intake.

Anyone know what to check or have a part number for a fuel pump?

We have it at a large truck shop, but they won't look at it for a couple of days

Thanks,

Mike Layton

Mike, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

First thing is to check is if there is power to the fuel pump. If there is power is the fuel pimp running?

Fuel pressure should be around 60psi. at the pump output.

Check the inline fuel filter.(could be restricting fuel flow) Next item is the fuel pressure regulator that controls the injector fuel pressure.

Let the group know how you are making out.

Rich.

The average GM in tank pump is good for 6 or 7 years and or 100,000 miles and less if you run your tank empty a few times

check wiring if all good put a new pump in.

And hope you don't have a full tank.

First find exact fuel pressure spec. for your set up then test with good pressure tester

.I have seen numerous GM trucks run with under spec fuel pressure but needed either shot of gas or starting fluid to get started. One of these was only under spec by 4 lbs.

Good luck.

Dave

Thanks to everyone for their input. The mechanic said it started this morning normally, idled 1/2 hour, and quit. He has someone with a code reader, we're at a diesel shop. The guy is going to come by & hook it up.

Diesel mechanic wants to check for other problems before he pulls the tank. Found a pump and filter in Oneida, TN. Hope I can go down next weekend and drive back.

Mike

Thanks to everyone for their input. The mechanic said it started this morning normally, idled 1/2 hour, and quit. He has someone with a code reader, we're at a diesel shop. The guy is going to come by & hook it up.

Diesel mechanic wants to check for other problems before he pulls the tank. Found a pump and filter in Oneida, TN. Hope I can go down next weekend and drive back.

Mike

The fact that it started and then ran for 1/2hr. then shut down and the same problem happen more then once, kind of leads to a defective connection. My first thought would be the ground has rusted and the connection comes and goes.

The positive side of this issue is it gives you a chance to have the entire fuel delivery system checked and the fuel filter changed along with the fuel pump. You did not post the number of miles on the coach?

The other connection to check is the fuel pump power feed and if my memory is good- I think you will find the pump power is supplied using a fusible link and they a often connected at the starter positive terminal an there could be some corrosion at that connection also.

Good luck, Rich.

On a lot of GM's it is the oil pressure switch that runs the fuel pump relay after the time out on start so it could also be low oil pressure