huffypuff

Drain System Management

I started by finding wasted space to store the sewer hoses and connectors, I used two heater duct about 5 feet long with end caps. One is 6 inch dia and the other is 5 inch. 5 inch will work just fine. Click pictures to make larger.

IMAG0219 BURST002

This show the hose going in the 5 inch duct with connectors. These ducts will hold 20 feet of hose with connectors each.

IMAG0220 BURST002

I brought two ten foot plastic gutter the cheap 4 inch wide and cut off 25 inches off them to fit the length of the cargo bay. It is wasted space where I put them between the wall and cargo tray slide.

IMAG0213 BURST002

This is the gutters on the ground ready to be put together to make a tray for the drain hoses.

IMAG0214 BURST002

This is the two gutters snapped together to make a sliding tray for the sewer hose

IMAG0215 BURST002

This is the sewer hoses laid in the gutter tray. Make the gutter tray slightly longer than needed for the sewer hose.

IMAG0216 BURST002

I used 10 inch bungee cord to keep the snapped part of the gutter tray together

IMAG0217 BURST002

This is the final setup to have the hose run off as best as you can get without dips to trap sewer water. I have two problems this solved, the coach is low in the rear and the campground drain would only allow the tip of the elbow to be inserted.

IMAG0218 BURST002

This project to me is better and cost less than what is out there. The two gutters and bungee cords cost about $15. The duct work with caps was less than $25. This makes managing the sewer hose system so much better and less messy.

Nice job Puff! Funny, If I didn't know better I would think you owned my coach prior to me. My sewer hose is stored the same way above the propane tank, the previous owner mounted two sewer hose storage tubes with caps on the back side (so the hose doesn't fall out the other end). I just slide the hose in and the end will rest on the cross bar for the propane tank pointed at the ground. there is also a home made shelf (open grate) for couplers in the same compartment.

I still use one of those slinky things for hose support, I do like your idea much better.

I am in need of a better way to store my fresh hose. I have Camco quick connects on it now so I snap into the regulator, snap into the filter (it sits on a stand) and snap onto the hose that connects to the coach. the problem in my water supply bay has very little storage space and the hose rolled up connected to itself still doesn't fit.

The fresh water hose reel is a future project for me. I have a area behind the big white plastic panel where I can take a useless hose storage out. Then cut the plastic panel enough to mount a hose reel. My ideas are not new but I think best to share if it will help anyone. The elbows I just throw on the bottom as they won't fall through.

Great idea! I'll have to look at the propane compartment on our rig to see if that would work. I've been using 4" PVC drain pipe cut in half lengthwise to do what you do with the gutter. I store all four (2x10') nested together with the sewer hose sections in the top drain pipe section. I kept the 2' cut- off sections for the miscellaneous odd lengths that sometimes occur. I use small bungees, the tiny ones, to wrap around the hose and pipe assemblies to hold them together. Whenever possible I'll cover the hose to keep it from exposure to the sun, especially on extended stays.

Tom, I'm aware of the pvc pipes and even had a section of it cut lengthwise. I went with the gutter because it;s lighter and easy to handle and cut what you need. Good for everyone to know because the half pvc is stronger if you need that.

Thanks for reminding me Puff! Way back, when there was no "slinky" or Camping World, we would use PVC or aluminum pipe to store sewage hose on/or under back bumper!

I like your gutter system, so I'll get that tomorrow. as I'm home now, but will be at a rally next week...have a bunch of the ball bungees!

Carl

Puff,

I have used the same space for my ladder. I used 5" PVC. I would do the same with the sewer hose, however my bay door for the Fuel/Propane tank is under the slide. The first thing the DW does is put out the slide when we park. Then it is too hard on my knees to get to it.

I do like the gutter idea and will look at a place for storage for both on the drivers side.

Hope to see everyone in Perry at the "Perry Forum Get Together". Thursday March 17th 5:00 PM.

Herman

Ha yes Herman the DW and the slides. I tell my DW to go ahead and walk the dog and take care of business like checking in and I will set up. :rolleyes:

Puff,

I have used the same space for my ladder. I used 5" PVC. I would do the same with the sewer hose, however my bay door for the Fuel/Propane tank is under the slide. The first thing the DW does is put out the slide when we park. Then it is too hard on my knees to get to it.

I do like the gutter idea and will look at a place for storage for both on the drivers side.

Hope to see everyone in Perry at the "Perry Forum Get Together". Thursday March 17th 5:00 PM.

Herman

HA, she was doing that for a while, now she opens the window and asks if it's ok to open the slides and if she is going to hit anything. I have three bays under the kitchen slide, two pass through and the fuel/propane bay behind the steer axle and my doors lift up so you must crawl under the door to gain access. I often think how much I would have preferred swing doors on the bays.

Herman. I hope to make Perry, just depends on 2 things...fixing coach and new teeth! <_<

Swing doors are nice, I try to get everything out of bays before slides are out...don't always work out.

Carl

Puff.

I try hard the first time! At 6' 8", going under a slide is always painful...so. if I forget something that I can't live without, I pull the slide back in!

Carl

Puff. I left a comment on your blog.

What do you carry that's light weight to give proper height off ground for proper drainage? Wood is heavy!

The fresh water hose reel is a future project for me. I have a area behind the big white plastic panel where I can take a useless hose storage out. Then cut the plastic panel enough to mount a hose reel. My ideas are not new but I think best to share if it will help anyone. The elbows I just throw on the bottom as they won't fall through.

Greetings huffypuff! We store our sewer hoses in the same place with a large piece of split drain pipe. However, I like your idea better. Ooops, another project...

Regarding the fresh water hose reel: Ours threw a cog one day and I was a little irritated to find that there was no easy way to R/R it. I've never liked the configuration of our service bay (2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ), so out came the saber saw. The entire plastic panel is gone, along with the hose reel, about 10 feet of excess wiring, and three feet of excess pex. The entire area was re-plumbed and the open space above the holding tanks was captured for our fresh water hoses. The plastic panel was replaced with painted plywood and the fittings and valve that were saved from the old one. It took a few days but it was worth it.

What do you carry that's light weight to give proper height off ground for proper drainage? Wood is heavy!

I have several sizes of plastic wheel chocks (3 of them) that can be oriented in various positions. I used to have 3 of 4 dense foam blocks used to put a canoe on the roof of a car but I lost them somewhere along the way. I use lightweight PVC drain pipe which can support the hose. For the shorter runs, this can be overlapped to add rigidity. If I need more than three supports, or something taller than what I have, I'll improvise with other small items. I've used spare sewer fittings, the campground sewer cap, the ever popular rocks that accumulate in the area of the sewer, etc. Speaking of those rocks, I don't have to use them to keep the hose in the sewer, I use small bungees (the little bitty ones), one linked around the pipe and the hose, that makes the hose and pipe combination heavy enough to keep the hose from jetting out of the sewer. Of course if everything is right, the connection screws into the sewer so it won't pop loose but how many sewer pipes have good threads? By the way, I use multiple bungees to keep the pipe and sewer hose together even in a good wind. If the run is short I can even put one piece of pipe over the top of the sewer hose to completely enclose it.

Herman. I hope to make Perry, just depends on 2 things...fixing coach and new teeth! <_<

Swing doors are nice, I try to get everything out of bays before slides are out...don't always work out.

Carl

It appears you have the coach fixed. And if you keep the Blue Bell soft you wont have to worry about fixing the teeth. :lol: Hope to see you in Perry, Noble

Herman

Tom. Thank you! :)

Herman. I'll be in Perry the 16th, Governance 50 amp! Think Vine, cheese, crackers and sausage, Blue Bell for desert ! :D

Carl