Bill@billblack.biz

Ideas On Carrying 2 -300# Scooters

I pull a Jeep Wrangler behind a MOTORCOACH. I have two scooters that weigh 300# each I want to carry also.

The Jeep receiver has max tongue weight of 350#, so I can't do a dual bike carrier insert.

Does anyone have any ideas without pulling a trailer behind the Jeep (not sure that's legal anyway).

Thanks.

Is the coach receiver rated enough that you can use a dual receiver? Carry one scooter on the back of the coach and one on the Jeep. I have a dual receiver on the back of my coach that I carry a mini golf cart, weighs 308#, then tow the car on a tow dolly, works well for me. You can still tow your Jeep 4 down also.

Bill - tandem towing is allowed in many states. Just don't try to back up! You can find the allowable towing under the "dot" website for the states you want to.

Also you would need to consider the tow capacity for your rig.

Is the coach receiver rated enough that you can use a dual receiver? Carry one scooter on the back of the coach and one on the Jeep. I have a dual receiver on the back of my coach that I carry a mini golf cart, weighs 308#, then tow the car on a tow dolly, works well for me. You can still tow your Jeep 4 down also.

Your idea sounds great. Where do I get info on the dual receiver so I can still pull 4 down? Thanks

Bill,

What motorhome do you have?

One of the prime determinants of what kind of lift/trailer, etc that you can use is your motorhome's rear axle capacity vs actual weight. Do you know your rear axle GAWR and fully loaded weight?

Bill, I know towing 4 down is easier, but consider a enclosed trailer. Ive never had that many things dangling outside my motorhome ( I live with under maintained California roads ). They will fall, or break something.

I have now done more towing with a trailer than attached on my toad or hitch. Yes its longer, and I've gone to camp grounds where I need to park the trailer in a separate location. It just take more planning. I drive more confidently when i hit those "back jarring bumps" on the highway.

I have seen dirt bikes sitting on open frame "rail" trailers, where just ONE of the straps have broke free. It was being towed behind a slide on camper. The highway, ground the handle bar down to almost where the fuel tank was next in line to touch the pavement. Not cool

Or consider a small pickup as a toad that you can load your scooters in the back of.

Safety first. Consider all that are following you. Good luck !

Bill,

What is the make, model and size of a motor home do you have. That would have a lot to do with what you can do. I am not sure I would like to add 300 lbs. to the rear of a Jeep Wrangler and try to tow it. That would make the front end of the Jeep very light and make it prone to wander badly.

If it were me and for what you are asking I would look for a full size Pickup. the bed of the truck would hold both scooters without any adverse problems to the towing.

Herman