lylefikse

Replacing Cable On Slides

Both our rear slides are cable drives. They both are working fine, however I know cables will not last forever.

Has anyone out there replaced a broken cable and how hard is it to do?

I have heard of some people that carry spare cables in case of a problem.

I have changed the cables on previous owned Motorhomes.

Pretty straight forward job make sure you keep track on how the cables are wound on the winch drums. Also inspect the bushings/bearing on the cable rollers and clean/ lubricate them, as well as the slide rollers.

We have replaced three of the eight cables we have. One frayed to the point it would not retract the slide all the way, the other two I replaced on signs of wear. I carry two replacements. It can be difficult to replace, but doable for most. I found that on our slides the holes for the cables where not in perfect alignment to the hole in the side support. This required us to file the hole to make it just a little larger. Our MH is a 2008 Damon Astoria, we had to replace the first cable in 2011, next two in 2012, and none since we enlarged the hole to allow the cable to go straight into the side.

A pair of good wire cable cutters and a crimping tool is needed. The cable repair kit come with a cool little tube you insert the old cut cable in and the new cable. You then pull the cable all the way and fit it to the pulleys inside. We had to remove some trim to get to the cables on the inside.

Best to watch them and replace at first sign of wear.

Typed on my new tablet.... first ever try so I hope the info comes across OK.

Thanks for the input. I have a replacement cable in stock. Have a cable cutter and plan to buy a crimping tool. On inspection our cables are all in good condition. I know a wire that goes back and forth will fail eventually.

Joe.

I had it on my Allegro Bus and it busted twice, in 30 months! Don't remember who makes it...POS !

I have wondered, if you have HWH to begin with on a 4 slide coach, why only have it on driver side? MSRP $400,000, Dealer cost $200,000+/-

Our cost 25% to 40% off of MSRP!

Carl

Carl, what year was your Allegro Bus? Was it one slide in particular or all of them were cable operated? When I heard the slide was operated by cables my hair stood up on the back of my neck.

Carl, thanks.

Reason....friend just purchased a 2005 Allegro Bus two slides, both on drivers side. All I could think was OHNO! :blink:

His didn't appear to be cable operated but then again I have never seen one on cables. The only RV cable experience I have is a POP UP....and it wasn't good.

Thanks,

Joe