pallums

Georgia Registration, Taxes, & Fees

When registering a RV in Georgia, be prepared to pay the total ad valorem tax up front. Having done this we just went get our $20.00 tag and were hit with $50.00 Highway Impact fee which will be an annual fee! The law reads:

"Highway Impact Fees - all vehicles in the following weight classes will annually be assessed:
Vehicle Weights 15,000 to 26,000 pounds. 26001 pounds and over
Highway Impact Registration and Renewal Fee. $50.00. $100.00

And on our tag/ registration papers the RV is classified as a Passenger Car/Light Truck, the same as our
Small pickup!
Can someone help us make sense of this?

Pallums,

Sorry for your dilemna. But you are trying to make since of a state government. Can't be done. In Texas my coach annual registration is way over $300.00 and several others state are much higher.

Herman

If you don't believe that is cheap, come to Alabama, ad valorem tax is assessed annually based on black book values, I have watched the faces on new motorhome owners when they were hit with $1700.00 to $2600.00

tags. Now the good part is if you purchase the vehicle in Alabama, the state portion of sales tax is 2.75% plus local fees can be 1% to 2% added to that, so a $200,000.00 coach sales tax can be significantly lower than

neighboring states such as Ga. and Fl. etc.

Good point Bill, I forgot to mention state income tax, and now the powers to be have figured that we do have amongst the lowest property taxes, so they need to be raised to be in line with other states.

Will be in Houston for work on the 29th of this month.

Kay

Inspection on Jeep, $25.00, Coach $7.00

Lic. plate, Jeep $62.00, Coach $822.25 Texas goes by weight and DMV made a typo of 56,000# on mine! I'm still battling and have sent

all papers to Austin...maybe they will send me a refund? Not!!

Carl

California, perts of it, including the city I live in 10% sales tax

Registration fee for motorhome a little over $700 per year now. Was over $1,200 the inital years of ownership

State income tax, 10%

Fuel tax 48.5 cents per gallon.

Property taxes, about 1.15% to 1.2 % of your purchase price.

Home prices about 525 to 650 per sf.

Im surronded by 6 bridges that cost $20. To cross with my trailer in tow.

Pallums, I'll trade you, no wait a minute, I'll just move.

Maybe it is the two axles, cars, light trucks, RV's? That is the only similarity I can see. Even with three axles, two carry most of the weight and weight is what damages the roads. If you put enough tires under the load it is distributed so that no tire holds a huge weight. In Australia they run huge loads on their road trains but they have 20 to 24 tires under each trailer. 75,000 pounds divided by 24 tires is a lot less than the per-tire weight of my front axle! The out back roads we traveled with these monsters were some of the best roads we found. Very few potholes and broken surfaces. All heavy vehicles should be paying a higher fee for the road damage they cause. And, yes, that is me. In a fair world, the weight of the vehicle (per tire) would be multiplied by the miles traveled and this would be multiplied by a dollar amount to produce the highway tax on the vehicle. Most states just make a stab at it by assessing a higher tax on bigger vehicles. The simple truth is nobody every said that owning a motor home was going to be cheap!