greenbarn1

Kwikee Step

Hi all, I own a 2004 American Tradition. Just discovered one of the stainless steel bolts that hold motor to gearbox on Kwikee step broke in gearbox. Dealer said impossible to extract stainless bolt out of aluminum housing. Probably very true.

Said I would need new gearbox and motor? Motor works fine. I will call Lippert Monday.

Anybody have any experience with this thanks.

Stainless steel is drillable. If the bolt is large enough to work with, and takes a lot of patience to drill so that the drill bit doesn't walk off of the bolt and into the aluminum housing.

I purchase special extra hard bits at Fastenal that work extremely well. Use a very sharp pointed punch and carefully ping the punch with a hammer to make an impression into the bolt as perfectly centered as possible, and of course if there is enough room to do the work.

Good luck with the repair,

Kay

Use a good penetrating oil and try drilling with a let hand drill bit, with a little luck the bit will grab and will assist in the removal of the broken bolt.

Jim

green,

Drilling into S/S with a left twist drill is a good idea. But use a lubricant to help keep down the heat on the drill bit. Might I suggest that you use WD 40. It will keep down the heat and at the same time penetrate the threads and help keep down the stripping of the treads. If you are able to remove the broken bolt you may have to put in a heli-coil to replace stripped treads. In trying to drill out the you have nothing to loose but lots to gain $$$.

Now if that doesn't work I have a unit that I just removed from my step that your can have for the Gear box. Its yours if you will pay the freight. I can even try to remove the gear box and send just that to you. Let me know.

Herman

....and if you need a motor don't sent the $200 plus on one from a dealer. I got mine here for $73.

Step Motor

MAKE SURE that you get the correct one. The link above is a right hand (RH) motor. They make LH ones also.

The last time I checked Kwikee and Lippert were 2 different companies. Being in the marine business in Seattle, broken ss bolts in aluminum was an everyday occurrence. I would drill as close to center to the correct size to tap out to the finish size. If I screwed up the threads I would drill oversize and insert a Heli-coil. If you need a replacement motor for Kwikee a Ford 90 LTD drivers window is the replacement for about $40 at the local auto parts store.

The last time I checked Kwikee and Lippert were 2 different companies. Being in the marine business in Seattle, broken ss bolts in aluminum was an everyday occurrence. I would drill as close to center to the correct size to tap out to the finish size. If I screwed up the threads I would drill oversize and insert a Heli-coil. If you need a replacement motor for Kwikee a Ford 90 LTD drivers window is the replacement for about $40 at the local auto parts store.

Things have changed. Kwikee and Power Gear were both bought by a holding company that folded Kwikee into Power Gear. It appears that Power Gear/Kwikee have now been acquired by Lippert. See HERE

Well it is official!!! After successfully drilling the center of the 10-24 bolt. Instead of continuing to drill and tap hole. I decided to use a easy out. Well you no the rest of the story. Yup broke the easy out. Gearbox is junk now thanks to my stupidity. Herman why did you replace your components on your step. Your gearbox sounds like a good idea. If gearbox is still bolted to mounting plate just leave it those bolts can break taking them out. 1. Thanks carl

Well it is official!!! After successfully drilling the center of the 10-24 bolt. Instead of continuing to drill and tap hole. I decided to use a easy out. Well you no the rest of the story. Yup broke the easy out. Gearbox is junk now thanks to my stupidity. Herman why did you replace your components on your step. Your gearbox sounds like a good idea. If gearbox is still bolted to mounting plate just leave it those bolts can break taking them out. I am in vacation inn west palm beach fl. 33407. My cell # 603 553 4301. Thanks carl

You may still be OK. Take a small punch/center punch and try to back the easy out up. They don't catch much and you may get it to pop out just taping it with a hammer. I have used a broken tap extractor to get a broken ease out to come out.

Bill