lylefikse

Rotten Egg Smell

Our rear sink smells like rotten egg briefly after turning on the water. It goes away in about 15 seconds or less. Only happens after sink is unused for a period of time and I think only on the hot water side. We are hooked up to city water and and the water heater is running on the electric side. I plan on draining and flushing the hot water tank today. No smells at the kitchen sink or the shower. Any suggestions welcome.

Lyle, you might also pour some bleach down each drain let it sit for a short period of time then flush throughly. Then I would flush the entire fresh water system. Add bleach to a full tank, drive a short distance then run water through all faucets both hot and cold till you smell the bleach. Let the system sit for a while then drain tank and refill and flush till you can no longer smell bleach. System should be sanitized.

Herman

Use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach. Does a better job and you don't have to do any flushing. Pour a pint into the water fill hose and run it until the treated water goes to the furthest faucet. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then just use as normal.

My problem was in the plumbing so I filled the water hose with the hp and run it through the coach not the tank, and let it sit. If you have a problem with the water tank just dump it and put a pt or so and about 10 gallons of fresh water and drive around then fill the tank.

Lyle.

Do you have a gas/electric water heather? If so, check the anode. Also, do a smell test off the city water, I have a in line filter that I

connect to water source first, then hose to coach. If your hose is on a reel it needs sanitizing once or more per year. I unroll mine

completely and now run HP 3% thru it, used to be Bromide!

Carl

Actually, the "do you have an anode/anode needing replacement" is only if you have a Suburban water heater. With an Atwood water heater, they only recommend using the nylon drain plug, as the Atwood tank is aluminum. Steel threads of an anode do not "play nice" with the soft aluminum threads of the tank.