Sign in to follow this  
luv2trav

Need A Pet That Will Travel (other than cat/dog)

My son wants a new pet ... I need one that can travel with us. We have a Saint Bernard at home who doesn't travel, so I cant get another dog. Hubby is allergic to cats, so that rules them out. Any ideas? We were thinking about guinea pigs ...

We do very well with our 10 pound mix breed dog. Our current companion, for the last 7 years, is a pic-a-po. The poodle in her keeps the shedding to a minimum. She loves being handled, makes friends with people easily, has never snapped an anyone. Just a suggestion.

A thought for you. When traveling, it is often necessary to leave your pet in the rig while sightseeing. This is true of a bird, dog, rodent, etc. Will you be able to maintain room temperature, or will this interfere with your travels.

Whatever you decide, enjoy, and happy Trails.

How about a snake? They are easy to care for, only need a small light or heated rock to keep them warm. They don't eat much and you don't have to take them for a walk. Be sure the cage is snug, too many places to hide in a motor home! Get one that eats mice (not all snakes do) and you'll have a ready supply of food at pet stores if not in your campground! :rolleyes: Actually, most snake owners prefer the disease free pet store mice to wild mice! A small lizard or a turtle would be a similar pet. Another pet that doesn't take up much room and is low maintenance is a tarantula.

My grandson has an insect zoo. A couple of giant preying mantis are his favorites. If you had a couple of small insect cages, he could search out and find his pet on the trip! He could have a series of pets if your son practiced catch and release over time. You could use internet resources or local naturalists to identify mystery insects. In the process your son would be learning about living things that aren't furry and cute!

There is always the pet rock! They don't make much noise at night and you don't have to worry about the heat or cold. This could also be found along the way as you travel. Just don't take it from a state or national park!

I've had all the above as pets either in my science classroom or my own home in the past. They are all great pets.

You could get a armadillo they are very slow so there easy to catch,also they have limited eye sight which helps in the catching part.. But remember when startled it will jump straight up, so be ready..

The best part of having a armadillo is they are FINE EATING if you should grow tired if it..

My son wants a new pet ... I need one that can travel with us. Any ideas? We were thinking about guinea pigs ...

You didn't say how old your son is. This would help, narrow it down. It could be any where from a turtle to a cheerleader. How about no pet and just take him to shelters where you travel and let him help out for a little while. Pets to pet and no food to carry or worrying about the heat or cold when the pet must be left in the coach. :)

Had turtles for years BUT some need heat. But for the last 4 years lumpy our big headed goldfish has put in many miles. And as long as he gets feed 3-4 times a day he doesn't care where he is.

Years ago/ I remember a trucker that traveled with a parrot. As he passed me I looked over and a live parrot was setting on a perch mounted on the passengers seat. Probably could get a bit messy though.

Herman is right how old is your son and how big is your unit? We have a Class A and we travel with a St Bernard Lab mix and another mixed breed . The one is 100+ lbs and the other is 54 lbs. why not just take the puppy that you have?