FMCANationalOffice

Important Towing Information: 2014-2016 Jeep Cherokee

On July 8, 2016 at 7:52 AM, stuadler said:

I just had the harness installed but have not tried it. Concerned about the drain on the Cherokee battery. How long can you go before you have to recharge the battery. Other than hooking up a toad charge does anyone have any other ideas to keep battery charged.

I did get Chrysler to pay for the harness but it was a battle. My dealer worked it out with Chrysler.

Pity they had to battle it out.  I almost think they were acting.   My dealer said it was very clear - FCA pays. 

GR

We experienced the Death Wobble at least 10 times on our 2015 Georgetown while pulling our 2014 Jeep Latitude. We asked what caused it each time we went into a Camper World but no one was aware of what we were talking about. Finally, my spouse found an article in the July 2016 Motorhome issue called "Jeep Cherokee Wobble". It stated that to fix the problem we were to have a MOPAR wiring harness (part no. 68321424AB) installed. This also included a toggle switch mounted in the console between the seats and a 10 AMP fuse under the hood. No one was aware of this fix at the dealership so we ended up contacting Ramon Harris, FCA Customer Service 1-844-533-7928, who assisted to make sure the fix was installed on our Jeep. Ramon is super great and has assisted us every inch of the way to resolve this problem. To date everything has been completed and our first test drive went really well. Our longer trip is coming up in September so that will be the real test.  To keep the battery charged during towing we have a trickle feed which is setup through the use of our Invisi-Brake.  The dealership told us that this provides enough charge while in tow.  

I had my system installed 1 month ago and there was no charge. Works fine, had ac500 mile trip with it.

On 8/31/2016 at 2:40 PM, rojoco10 said:

We experienced the Death Wobble at least 10 times on our 2015 Georgetown while pulling our 2014 Jeep Latitude. We asked what caused it each time we went into a Camper World but no one was aware of what we were talking about. Finally, my spouse found an article in the July 2016 Motorhome issue called "Jeep Cherokee Wobble". It stated that to fix the problem we were to have a MOPAR wiring harness (part no. 68321424AB) installed. This also included a toggle switch mounted in the console between the seats and a 10 AMP fuse under the hood. No one was aware of this fix at the dealership so we ended up contacting FCA Customer Service, which assisted to make sure the fix was installed on our Jeep. To date everything has been completed and our first test drive went really well. Our longer trip is coming up in September so that will be the real test.  To keep the battery charged during towing we have a trickle feed which is setup through the use of our Invisi-Brake.  The dealership told us that this provides enough charge while in tow.  

In the February 2016 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine, readers were made aware of this problem and Fiat Chrysler's plans to resolve it. And if you follow this thread to the beginning, you'll see that useful information was initially posted in January 2016. 

Edited by FMCANationalOffice
The name of a specific FCA company rep was removed at FCA's request.

I have experienced the wobble in with my Cherokee Trail Hawk too.  I am using  SMI AirforceOne controller with the wiring kit that provides power to the towed vehicle with the ignition off.  The Jeep dealerships that I have contacted to make the modification are hesitant to make it because they are unfamiliar with the SMI.  Is there anyone there with this configuration that has been successful?

SMI would have nothing at all to with the steering wiring harness.  Have the harness installed and you are all done.  If they are not happy, disconnect the SMI wire.  If the Jeep harness is going to provide power to the battery while towing I don't believe you need the SMI charging wire anyway.

This has been quite an ordeal and no one seems to have a definitive answer. I hope someone here can verify what I have been told by Jeep.

I have a 2016 Cherokee. The flat towing kit has been installed. When the kit is activated, the power steering IS NOT activated. I understood that was the purpose of the relay powering the EPS. I just compared notes with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee owner in the FMCA campground. His 2014 Cherokee does activate the power steering when the relay is activated.

My dealer has checked the kit wiring again and also talked to Jeep. I have called Jeep Care three times and the say the power steering is not activated so I am at a loss as to where to get the right answer. Maybe the 2014 model behaves differently?

I don't want to start towing and tear up the Cherokee if the relay is not working as designed. If anyone on the forum has a 2016 Cherokee with the kit installed, please let me know if your power steering is active when the fuse is inserted.

Thanks, Lee

Earlier this month when we were caravaning (20 coaches)  up to the FMCA 6 State rally in Shawnee Ok. one member had a problem with his Jeep. They were 2 coaches ahead and I was able to see first hand the "Death Wobble" it was pretty impressive. It turns out he had done the upgrade but didn't set it up properly before he started out that morning. Fortunately he was able to pull over and fix the problem.  

Having seen the Death Wobble first hand I think it is more of a Death Through, I am amazed it didn't damage the car or the tow bar. I am glad they are geting the fix out there for the owners.

Bill

Wonderful, we have the double posting thing again!  It always seem to happen on the weekend...wonder why?

Jeep.  I think it's a small bandage for a big problem, that will only go away, when the parent company is finished playing games with Dodge and Fiat.

Carl 

On 9/30/2016 at 3:16 PM, Monk said:

This has been quite an ordeal and no one seems to have a definitive answer. I hope someone here can verify what I have been told by Jeep.

I have a 2016 Cherokee. The flat towing kit has been installed. When the kit is activated, the power steering IS NOT activated. I understood that was the purpose of the relay powering the EPS. I just compared notes with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee owner in the FMCA campground. His 2014 Cherokee does activate the power steering when the relay is activated.

My dealer has checked the kit wiring again and also talked to Jeep. I have called Jeep Care three times and the say the power steering is not activated so I am at a loss as to where to get the right answer. Maybe the 2014 model behaves differently?

I don't want to start towing and tear up the Cherokee if the relay is not working as designed. If anyone on the forum has a 2016 Cherokee with the kit installed, please let me know if your power steering is active when the fuse is inserted.

Thanks, Lee

Lee, this is from a statement that Fiat Chrysler provided to FMCA in March 2016, regarding the resolution to the wobble problem: The company devised a "jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicle's EPS (electric power steering) has power to function while it is being flat-towed."

If you feel you have received incorrect information from the Jeep Customer Assistance Center, I suggest that you call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. The number is (877) 426-5337.  

Sorry, should have posted this two weeks ago. We now have power steering after a long ordeal. We have not towed the Cherokee yet, waiting until the kit was working. We are in Pigeon Forge for three more weeks so then we will tow for the first time.

When I tried the steering it did not work then I pulled the fuse out to scratch my head. This was also tried at my dealer, same result. At the third trip to the dealer, they discovered that the steering does not activate immediately but does so after a 20-30 second delay. That fact is not in any instructions and Jeep factory support did not tell them about that. The 10a fuse does not power the steering, just the ECM and another module. Those modules control the steering only, the steering motor gets power directly from the battery. The delay is the time for the modules to boot up. Bottom line is, my steering was working from day one. I told Jeep that the instruction card in the kit should mention this and perhaps save others the trouble I have been through.

I sure hope this is a real fix for the wobble. The prior post here now causes some doubt about kit being the cure. I hope others will chime in here and let us know their experience with the kit installed.

Thanks to everyone here on the forum.

Monk

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee, big knobby, wide Firestone tire. I've been across the country to Palm Springs, Ca., to Florida and back. As of yet, haven't had it  to wobble, Hope I never do. A quick fix would be two bungies on both sides of the steering wheel down to the seat frame, or, a "fix" that would waste gas, start engine and run in idle. Maybe the wide tires give it more stability?

Possible those tires changed the dynamics and I'm guessing you have other modifications as well?

Jeep Wranglers are top heavy and easy to roll, mine is the opposite.

Carl

I contacted Jeep customer service today regarding the wiring harness that needs to be added to my 2014 Jeep Cherokee to correct the "wobble" problem.  I informed them that my service representative at the dealership knew nothing about the problem until I sent him information regarding the issue.  He quoted me a price of $460 to purchase and install the wiring harness.  I explained to the customer service rep that since this information was not included in any literature and I was informed by the dealership that the vehicle was to ready when I purchased the vehicle new, I should not be required to pay for an "add on" item.  Unfortunately my plea was met with deaf ears.  When I asked for a phone number that I could call or address to write to of someone higher up in the organization I was told by the rep that she was unable to supply either.

My question is, has anyone tried to retrieve the cost of the wiring harness by taking the company to small claims court after purchasing it.

Stenzhorn.  Welcome to the forum!

Catch 22 answer is that it will cost you $400 to file small claims at the clerks office, then you need to wait until your notified by the clerk as to when to be at court...don't know what your time is worth, but I would get the harness and get in touch with FMCA, they have been on top of this problem since the beginning!

Carl

Stenzhorn, the post from FMCA on October 4 has a phone number to contact. You should not have to pay anything for this recall modification.  

Thanks for the advice.  I did contact the Customer Service Assistance Center at 1-877-426-5337 and was told that the repairs needed for the wobble are considered an out of pocket expense and FCA would not help.  I guess Fiat/Chrysler does not want to do the right thing and make good on their mistake.

If you are serious about getting them to pay for it, don't give up.  Send them a very nice, very detailed letter (certified mail) explaining the issue and why you believe they should pay for it.  It took me three letters and a phone call (gradually moving up the chain of command) before I got a guy with enough horse power to tell me "you need to bring that coach here so we can fix it."  They fixed it, along another item also out of warranty that I did not mention...and reimbursed me for 1,500 miles of diesel fuel.  The fuel took another letter, which was requested in a thank you letter.

Big difference, between one American Coach and Thousands of Jeeps, that are owned by a European Corporation...How's your German? :(

You can try FIVE's approach, FMCA can't help any further, just don't expect much!

Carl

I just had the wiring kit installed for the "Jeep Wobble" and now trying to get reimbursement from FCA.  It appears to me that a major problem is with the case managers.  Each one seems to be able to independently decide whether you get reimbursed, or not.  The case manager that I just spoke with told me that the addendum to the owners manual was due to a misprint in the original manual and that towing was an option that required the kit.  I advised him that the only requirement for flat towing at the time I purchased the Trailhawk was the Active Drive II transmission and that the subsequent addendum was due to a discovered problem, not a misprint.  Case manager would not budge from his decision.  

FMCA can you speak to FCA and try to get continuity with FCA on reimbursement?  We should not individually have to fight this issue; this should have been made clear by FCA at the beginning as to financial responsibility especially since the majority of us are still under warranty and all of us probably bought this vehicle due to it's ability to flat tow.  

If nothing can be done with FMCA's help would any members who have not been reimbursed be willing to pay for an attorney to send a letter to FCA  representing us as a group rather than each of us fighting on our own?  I have found a letter from an attorney costs very little money but can have big results. 

Anyone now if the 2017 Jeep  Trail Haw I just purchased has this same problem?

Just answered my question. Jeep has stated "my" jeep,  built in Oct 2016, has been corrected.

On 11/21/2016 at 5:16 PM, jbikesv said:

Anyone now if the 2017 Jeep  Trail Haw I just purchased has this same problem?

Just answered my question. Jeep has stated "my" jeep,  built in Oct 2016, has been corrected.

If you don't mind, who did you speak to at Jeep, and did they explain how it was corrected, assuming you don't have the towed wiring kit installed?  

On 11/21/2016 at 3:00 PM, Florida65 said:

I just had the wiring kit installed for the "Jeep Wobble" and now trying to get reimbursement from FCA.  It appears to me that a major problem is with the case managers.  Each one seems to be able to independently decide whether you get reimbursed, or not.  The case manager that I just spoke with told me that the addendum to the owners manual was due to a misprint in the original manual and that towing was an option that required the kit.  I advised him that the only requirement for flat towing at the time I purchased the Trailhawk was the Active Drive II transmission and that the subsequent addendum was due to a discovered problem, not a misprint.  Case manager would not budge from his decision.  

FMCA can you speak to FCA and try to get continuity with FCA on reimbursement?  We should not individually have to fight this issue; this should have been made clear by FCA at the beginning as to financial responsibility especially since the majority of us are still under warranty and all of us probably bought this vehicle due to it's ability to flat tow.  

If nothing can be done with FMCA's help would any members who have not been reimbursed be willing to pay for an attorney to send a letter to FCA  representing us as a group rather than each of us fighting on our own?  I have found a letter from an attorney costs very little money but can have big results. 

Sorry I'm so late with this information, but I don't monitor this forum very often.  If your Cherokee is a 2014, 2015 or early 2016 build (not sure what the cutoff date is), send an email to:  (EMAIL OWNER REQUEST EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED) Attn:  Kori.  She is with JeepCares and should be able to help you.  She cannot do anything for KLs built later in 2016.