Sign in to follow this  
nkgunner

Battery Questions...

I will need 4 new house batteries. I have read many posts about the different batteries and I am still confused..

Looking at 6 Volt Golf Cart AGM..Better than buying 12volt?

Some Mfg's do not have dealers in the area..I would like to buy where they will remove the old ones and install the new ones...(bad back)

In the Ocala FL area and I have checked with some RV locations and they are at crazy prices..

Your thoughts...

Thanks,

George

Hi Wildebill308,

Not sure of the make of the battery, since the label is facing inward. They are sealed and are AGM according to the PO..8.5w x 19L..

What kind of coach do you have? DP or gas? Wall Mart has AGM's for a good price. If you don't mind looking at your batteries and adding water as needed, then non AGM will work fine.

I carry 8 off them and have had no problems in 3 years. Also, they are a lot less expensive!

Carl

Are they 12V or 6V? The dimensions make me think they are 12V. You can by 6V golf cart batteries at Sam's Club and I think they will do the install. You will probably need a couple more cables to do the hook up.

Bill

nkgunner,

Could you attach a picture of the batteries you want to replace. you should have 4 or more 6 volt batteries for the coach and 2 -12 volt batteries for the chassis.

The most common configuration.

Note! the 6 volts are more square and the 12 volt size is more like a rectangle.

The dimensions you posted are for the rectangular batteries - most likely the 31 series.

Got to ask if you have a Gas or Diesel coach and what Model an Year?

Rich

Hi,

I thought I put the coach info in..

2005 Country Coach Allure 430, DP.

I will go to the coach this morning and take a pic of the batteries. Because of a bad back adding the water is an issue.

Thanks

George,

If you look at the wiring configuration, check to see if two sets of the batteries are connected positive to negative in the configuration, or is all four positive to positive and negative to negative, this will tell if 6 volt or 12 volt. If the first occurs they are 6 volt, if the second, they are 12 volt.

This is assuming that your coach is the normal 12 volt house configuration, most are.

Good morning Gunny,

It seem that you may not be familiar with Coach Batteries. :huh: Take the pictures to your local Inter-State dealer, show him what you have. He will be able to tell you what you have. He can also tell you the cost to replace what you have with the same batteries you have now. There are some good Walmart locations that can do the same. The reason I mentioned these two places is Service. Most every place you travel you will find either one or the other and in most cases both. They both have good warranties.

Herman

Hi,

I thought I put the coach info in..

2005 Country Coach Allure 430, DP.

I will go to the coach this morning and take a pic of the batteries. Because of a bad back adding the water is an issue.

Thanks

Gunny, if you put your info in your signature(see min and Herman's) it will help get better answers and you don't have to do it every time.

There are auto water devises out there if you decide to go with the wet cell golf cart battery's. Something like this.

http://www.janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JANWP&Category_Code=JWPRV

Bill

JMHO, of course, but four (or eight if necessary) 6 volt AGMs will solve all battery problems as long as you have a smart charger set for AGMs. Sure they cost more, but this is a case of you get what you pay for. Put them in and forget them.

I figured out what batteries I now have: Lifeline GPL-4DL, 12V, Blade terminals,

Sizes checked, 19.05 long x 8.03 wide.
A couple of distributors about 65 miles from us...Price is hard to swallow..Will wait until Monday and make some calls..
Sams club will not install..
Thanks for the help..
Gunner

Ouch, they are pricey but what a battery. This is an off the grid dream. I wonder if they were factory installed in your coach, if so that's 11 years. After looking at the photobucket, dates on batteries, looks like 7/11, 4.5 years isn't very good for that much of a battery. I wonder if they are actually bad?

Hi Kaypsmith,

The coach new had (4) 6Volt batteries when new and the PO had to have the battery tray rebuilt and they put in the Lifeline batteries at that time, 7/11..

I will be checking with Lifeline on Monday to see what they have to say on a test or why they are acting the way they are.

We arrived in FL on Wed and went to the storage area, batteries at 100%, at 4PM. Thursday back to the coach around 2PM and the batteries were at 75%. On Friday we went back and the batteries were at 50%. I started the genny and ran for about 1 hour..Back on Saturday and they were at 50%. The battery disconnect was OFF...Nothing was on.

The batteries are VERY expensive and are rated super but should have longer life for what they are..They have been drained due to power outage a few times...but.

George

2005 Country Coach allure 430

George,

Yes, you could have a bad battery, but the place I would start is VERIFYING that there is no draw on the batteries while in storage. No basement lights left on, inverter not on standby......

You will need a higher end meter as most digital VOM's have a limited amp range.

Gunny,

Lot of these MHs have mystery drains on them. The next time you have them charged fully, disconnect the Ground Terminal. Check them after a day or two. If they are still discharging then you might have defective units. However if they are still fully charged then you have something really drawing on them. If you can you might consider a small smart 10 amp/trickle charger. A smart charger will maintain the batteries and not over charge (boil) them.

Good luck with your back, I know the feeling.

Herman

They are rated for 1000 cycles @ 50% discharge, and specs significant degradation if allowed to discharge below 50%.

The Lifeline GPL-4DL is a high performance, Mil-Spec, AGM battery, produced in the United States. Due to the Lifeline Battery's quality construction, it has an industry leading 2% per month self discharge rate at 77°F (25°C). These batteries off gas only 2% by volume under normal operating conditions, again, industry leading. No sulfuric acid leaks, no acid clean up, and more power in the same space when compared to conventional batteries.
For GPL-4DL Marine and Seafaring Applications, click here

I have a friend in the battery rebuild business that often is able to "shock" them back to life, not something for a novice to try. I have had him perform this for me in the past and have been fortunate to get extra life out of them.

Also a good cleaning of the battery terminals might be in order, I have a nephew that lives just above Gainesville that I can have stop by to assist in this procedure if you would like, "he doesn't have a bad Back", no pun intended. Good luck with the project, Kay

Hi Guy's,

I will go to the storage lot tomorrow and pull it forward so i can open the trays and make sure nothing is on. I will check my meter, it is a pretty new and good one.

There is no electric at this storage location, it is a nice place and the owners are super so we want to store the unit while at the house.

I will pull up a chair and clean all the Blade connections and put some diealectric grease when I reconnect them.

I will take her out for a good run and have the batteries at 100% and then see what Lifeline has to say..I have read just about everything lifeline has on their web site, also did searches..

Will see about disconnecting the Ground connection and test later..a couple of days..

Thanks a bunch....great folks on this site..

George

aka: Gunner, Sgt Andy

One last suggestion, after charging to 100%, disconnect each battery from each other, and from the coach. Check the battery level on each independently, leave disconnected for a few days,

then check the levels again. If there is one bad battery, it should show up this way. And if there is only one, it can easily pull the others down, much less expensive to replace only one than

all four.

Thanks to all who answered this post!

I put a Single Battery Disconnect Switch (on/off) at the negative wire coming to the battery bank. I disconnected all the batteries and checked each one with the volt meter before connecting the switch. All were reading the same voltage. I wire brushed every connection and put dialectic grease on all the terminals and reattached everything. All is good. I ran the genny and it is now at 12.8 volts at the batteries. I have put the Single Battery Disconnect Switch OFF along with the salesman switch OFF. I will check the voltage in a few days and see where we are...

Camping World had a 300 amp switch and a large blade on/off. I purchased both and ended up installing the 300 amp switch.

Single Battery Disconnect Switch Catalog Item # 69568

Thanks again guys!

George