abyrd

7500 Onan Quiet Generator V Belt

Anyone have any tips on changing the V belt. It is my understanding that it only drives the water pump.

My motorhome is a Holiday rambler Endeavor with generator in front on a roll out.

Generator hours 1061, think it's about time for belt replacement.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

I had Cummins/Onan replace ours. It had about the same number of hours yours had. When they brought me the old belt, it had places that were in shreds. It was shot and would have broken within a very short period of time. As it was, I was amazed it was still working. The generator won't run without the water pump working so I'd have it replaced as soon as possible. It is possible to remove the cover and get to the 7.5 KW Onan Quiet Diesel. If you have reasonable mechanical ability you should be able to do it yourself. I'm sure you can order the belt from Onan if you can't get it from an auto store.

Just bought one for our coach on eBay. Cummins part number I obtained from Cummins/onan. I found it on line but the shipping was more than the belt, my local dealer didn't have it in stock and again the shipping was expensive. We have a 2001 7500 Onan and the part number is 511-0235. I picked it up for $14.00. I tried the local Napa to cross the Cummins number but they couldn't.

Generator model: HDKAH series D.

If you go to the onan website you can decode your generator and call them for a parts breakdown.

I have no idea how old our belt is, I figured when I service it in a few weeks I am just going to replace it. Seems like good insurance for $14.00, no shipping from eBay

I finally got around to changing the belt, I removed the top cover, driver side and rear cover to

access the belt. Instead of stretching the belt to remove and install, I removed the pulley from the hub of the water pump.

Thank everyone for the encouragement to self perform.

Jim

I finally got around to changing the belt, I removed the top cover, driver side and rear cover toaccess the belt. Instead of stretching the belt to remove and install, I removed the pulley from the hub of the water pump.Thank everyone for the encouragement to self perform.Jim

Jim, changed mine today, I did the same thing you did. Unbolted the waterpump pulley, installed the new belt lined the holes up with a drift pin and ran the bolts in. It took me longer to remove the wall on the genset then to change the belt. While I was at it I changed the oil and filter, coolant, fuel filter, radiator cap, thermostat and gasket and the air filter. Ran it through a full warm up for an hour with both roof top heat pumps on for a test run when I was done

Carl, LOL! It sits outside all year, along side the garage on a gravel bed. Too many years of being a Mobile Fleet Technician. It only hurts my aching bones in the beginning of the winter season, then I adapt.

I am trying to rush spring, I figured if the coach is ready it will come faster. :rolleyes:

It will come faster than you think, since you also got to get a 06' ready for Summer! :D Now if your DW has her way, you could get busy on an older Prevost, no slides! :lol::blink::rolleyes:

You have to take the pulley off and install the new belt and pulley at the same time. Bad design having to take top and aft side off just to get to the rear of the gen.

Check hose that runs by the belt, its probably cut too.