aldebruijn

New Motorhome Floor Plans: Practical Or Impractical - A Poll

Living in an RV is useful, but repairing everything in one also gives you a pretty good perspective as well.

The class A's I repaired were entry level units and in one year went through about 10 years of usage.

Between Bill, Brett, Joe and ObedB, there is at least 150+ years of hands on experience in all things chassis, diesel motors and axels...from trucking to DP's. I do not question what they have to say! :) Actions in my book speak louder than words!

Having said that. When, from another tread, you have to carry a can of WD-40 to operate items on a brand new $1,800,000 coach, then yes, there is something seriously wrong with the industry as a whole! :angry::blink:

Not too long ago, you got a coach built by the Amish inside and out, you knew you had a good coach! :) Not so today...flimsy! :(:wacko:

Carl

Joe.

You have some lingering cop attitude? :o Lots of my friends do! Understandable and it only takes a life time to get completely rid of.... :lol: Your doing well. I thought you would have "blown" a long time ago! :P

Carl

Carl,

I do agree about the value of experience, but I don't agree that one should not question what experienced people tell you.

In fact, not only is experience important, but also knowledge and research, and staying up on the technology.

Two examples when I was working at the rental rv place.

1) The older experienced lead tech was basically, from my point of view a parts replacement tech. Whenever the compressor was not working on an A/C unit he simple replaced the roof unit. One day the replacement didn't work and he threw up his hands and said the replacement was a bad unit. The manager was frustrated because this was a big class A that needed to go out the next day and we had no more replacements. I had just finished my A/C course and asked him if I could troubleshoot the unit. I found that the controller board inside the class A unit was defective. We replaced it and the A/C worked just fine.

2) When we put units through the car wash, water got into the furnaces. That same older experienced lead tech simply replaced the motherboard in the furnace to get the furnace working again. When I received a unit that had that problem, I dried out the place where the motherboard sat and cleaned the bottom of the motherboard. The unit then worked just fine.

In each instance the older lead technician was very hostile about learning that parts did not always have to be replaced.

Rodger

This topic could create enough responses to fill a book. The manufacturers say they make what the dealers sell. The dealers say they sell what the manufacturers send. The manufacturers say they must produce a motorhome with 2 bathrooms, 4 slides, 4-5 TVs and more bling. And yet, in a recent column in the February issue of Motorhome magazine, readers said overwhelmingly they prefer quality over fancier amenities.

We love our Monaco Safari Trek. It is a premium short coach with real hardwood cabinets throughout and all the features and equipment of a large motorhome. And because we maximize space and don't have a bedroom, we can seat 6 plus the 4 chairs of the dinette area. The huge bathroom means a lot to us. We like to camp in state parks and USFS campgrounds, so our Trek is perfect. Maximum space in a small package with all the amenities.

Most of the new motorhomes under 36 ft. are made cheap and they look it. Not everyone wants a 45 ft. coach, but there is a while market for those who want quality in a shorter coach. If we could only get the manufacturers to listen to the customers.

Motor homes that remind me of hotel lobbies or Dr's waiting rooms do not appeal to me. Our National Tradewinds is 17 years old. We've owned it for 3 years. It is our fourth motorhome in over 30 years. The most important feature to me, is it's U-shaped galley. When I look at the new motor homes in person or the floor plan views in magazines is the galley is the first thing I look at. Often the work surface is nearly non-existent and the alternate work space is the dining table/booth. Often not even located conveniently. I agree with a former commenter, some of these coaches were not designed by users.

Obviously unless you use your RV to go to nearby restaurants, workspace for meal prep is a most important feature. We only have one slide, a second would be okay. Two bathrooms? Why?

The deciding factor needs to be, how will you use your coach? Where will you appreciate the most space? If you like glamor, then the fancy interior designs might be for you too. :)

JoAnn

For me, I'm focusing on how I will use it. That's why I keep rolling between various class types to be sure we have thought deeply about all our options.

When we were in Yosemite, my wife and I agreed that the high mobility of a Class B was a big draw and there are some people who are focusing on downsizing from larger motorhomes as well. But as I mentioned to my wife, I believe we will want to stay more than one or two days in some places, maybe even a month or so, and I don't think I can mentally deal with being that tightly confined. Plus our 50 going on 65 or more pounds of Boxer will make the fit even tighter.

Anyway, when I looked at a new Pleasure Way XL, it was well designed and had a great floor plan, which opened some possibilities, but the minimal cargo carrying capacity and cargo space, really makes that a poor choice for me despite its excellent mobility and my mental limits. No place for my service technician tools, for example.

So despite keeping an open mind, the fundamental issue of usage, not floor plan, quality, or anything else, dominates our discussions, not just the pros and cons of each class.

Love my '06 Providence but would like to transition into a new 32-35 foot rig with a King Bed. I haven't found anything that fits the bill. Bath and a half is a joke in 35-40 feet of coach... King beds in most of them render the "walk around" useless. Wouldn't it be great to have someone who actually spends time on the road in a motorhome design these things? Does anyone know of a company who could do a quality modification to bedroom to accommodate a King?

The floor plan is a huge part of what we love about our coach. Slide-outs are all the rage today, so finding a motor home without too many isn't easy. Specifically I don't want any slides in the bedroom so you can get around the bed anytime.

And, I want a full Queen size bed, not the shorter RV size mattress. Must have real nightstands on both sides of the bed. We also aren't fans of any slide on the passenger side where they impact access to basement storage and create head knocking hazards for grandchildren.

The kitchen is another big deal. Linda really likes the U-shape counter where she can stand out of the traffic pattern. It also has more counter space than many of the others we looked at and in a spot that's good for serving too. The sink isn't pushed into the corner and there's a counter extension to the left of the sink. The counter top is Corian as is the range cover that lays flat providing more counter space when the stove isn't in use. And, we wanted the kitchen on the driver's side so we can have more window space on the passenger side.

We also wanted a water closet that when in use wouldn't restrict access to the bathroom sink, closets or bedroom.

We don't like dinettes. A table and real chairs please.

Windows, lots please. Mostly on the passenger side. In the bedroom put them where you can see out while laying in bed (not above the headboard).

Lastly we believe that our coach should be as usable with the slides in as with them out.

We're thrilled to have everything we want, but to get there we couldn't buy any of the newer coaches. As a result we're happy with our 1999 Tradewinds and make no apology for it's age.

As others have said, the ideal floor plan depends on preferences, priorities, and how you plan to use your coach. Our diesel pushers have been a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton, and currently a 2012 Itasca Meridian 40U. We use ours about 5 months during the summer and fall, so we are half-timers. We have customized it a bit for our preferences: Took out the electric fire place and replaced it with three drawers, one shallow one for odd and ends, another big enough for a small printer, and a third for a lateral file. We also had the area along the wall, behind where the recliner sat, modified to create a small desk with a pull out drawer for my laptop. Then replaced the uncomfortable recliner with a regular desk chair (If I want a recliner, I just use the front passenger seat turned around. My wife and I are fine with a queen size mattress, so we took out the king bed and replaced it with a comfortable queen. So we now have room to walk around the bed, and more easily access the wide wardrobe. We used the Tampa RV Super Show to clarify our priorities and identify make and model preferences before shopping for a new coach. Our priorities include:

• An affordable price!
  • One that will fit the RV lot we own in the Smokey Mountains, and other large rig campgrounds when we travel
  • Front lounge area so the driving seats can be turned around for additional comfortable seating in the lounge area
  • Main TV located such that it faces the couch (the 40U has it at a 45 degree angle opposite the couch).
  • A large kitchen with residential refrigerator with ice maker (my wife also likes to cook), a wall vent to the outside for the cooktop and microwave/convection oven, a pull out pantry, and adequate storage. She keeps cooking items in cabinets/drawers around stove, and other dishes in the opposite side wall cabinets.
  • A large amount of bedroom clothes storage, especially hang up clothes.
  • A single front windshield that is almost vertical so that there is less reflection from the dash (we had to put dark towels on the Phaeton dash)
  • An engine with enough torque to climb mountains pulling a toad without slowing down too much (our Cummins has 1050 lbs of torque)
  • Separate toilet and shower rooms (our 40' has only one toilet)
  • Roller shades and power front shades

I personally like the extra "living"space better, a bath and a half is OK but not really needed. Most coaches now lack light and fresh air. I like many windows that open wide. I don't want run ac/ fan all the time. There are not enough windows in many products.

My 2 cents:

I think each buyer has something in mind when they shop new or used.  Everyone has different needs.  Our needs changed over the last 10 years and may change over the next 10. 

Having many floor plans and options available can make it a daunting experience, but some of the unusual options (Bath and a half) are much more available now than back in 2007 when we purchased our first Class A.  If you want a bath and a half, try to get a 41-45 MH or your space will be cramped.  This size coach may take some folks out with the price point, but there are a lot of great used options out there. 

It takes some good detective work to hunt down you best choice.  Speaking of that, make a must have list to narrow down what you "Must Have" and "Really" need.  Your final purchase will make you happy for many years to come.  It did us.

Our bath and a half will cater nicely to our visitors and grand kids.  Our two extra J beds are a perfect size for the grand kids, but cramped for any visiting adults, that OK by us! LOL.

Make your list, you decide, then hunt down the best deal.  It's most likely used, but there the best deals IMHO!  Happy hunting!

bbb.jpg