budlevey

Most Trouble Free Toad Braking System For MH w/o Air Brakes

My MH doesn't have air brakes. I tow a CRV flat and used an Even Brake removable system that just went out.

What is the most trouble free and cost effective system to replace it with?

Bud,

Welcome to the Forum, I have never towed without air brakes. Most any unit you find will need air of some sort to push the pedal. Roadmaster has one as well as Buddy Brake. They both are removable units and they all will need your tow vehicle to be run for 5 to 10 minutes at least twice a day when traveling unless you add a charging wire from the coach to the tow vehicle. The air pump can run your battery down. M & G Engineering makes a unit that you don't have to remove but again, air pump.

So there are several nice unit out there and they all are good.

Herman

I have the SMI Duo braking system. I also tow a 2013 CRV 4 down. The SMI system is permanent in your vehicle so all you do is hook up everything on the outside. Prior to the DUO I had a rig with air brakes and used SMI's Air Force One system with no issues. Also their customer service is great and you get to talk to a live person.

I also give high praise for the SMI Duo system. Only if you tow multiple cars would I consider a different system. Trouble free! Once installed, it's ready for every trip! No set and take down needed!

I another vote for Ready Brake. I've been a user for years on several motorhomes and various toweds. It's easy to install and fast to hookup and disconnect. It's also about the least expensive braking system available. It works proportionally depending on how hard the car is pushing on the motorhome which pulls on the brake pedal. A little indicator LED installed on your dash lets you know when the brake is being applied on your towed vehicle. http://www.readybrake.com/

I have found that I like best a system that I don't have to remove each time I need to use Toad! Cost effective?

I have not found one...when it is mandated by law & it's a special application, forget about cheap!

I have had Brake master, got to remove. Currently I use Invisa brake and like it. The others that was mentioned

are all good.

Carl

Two thumbs up for the SMI Duo system !! Has worked flawlessly after being utilized for 24k miles including AK and Western CN -

Highly recommend a dash "red" light being installed to indicate when system is activated and please, have a Professional install this if you are not handy !!

Better to be safe than sorry !!

Highly recommend a dash "red" light being installed to indicate when system is activated

I love my Roadmaster Invisibrake. Just hook up power and kill switch lanyard from the coach and go. I installed the dash light with my Roadmaster Invisibrake. It is really nice to know when your toad brakes are being used, and even more reassuring to know when they aren't being used.