dougfisheria

Pueblo to Grand Junction

Question

6 answers to this question

I would not know about a restriction, but would not recommend US 50, I 25 to Denver, 470 west to I70 to Grand Junction

but at this time of the year? I don't think I would even try. Even in the Summer its a nerving ride, steep up and down

grades for long periods, but definitely better then US 50.

Hope this helps (don't ask how I know).

Old Marine

Sorry Old Marine, but I really enjoy the drive on U.S. 50, I would agree with you that this time of year is not the best. I have made the trip several times in my 40' Alfa pulling a Tahoe with no problems. I tried coming east on I-70 one time and it took me 6 hours to get to Denver (Traffic), I told my wife I will never go I-70 again. Might also mention 2 nice parks in Gunnison, Co. and another nice park in Montrose, Co. depending on how far you want to drive and the Weather.

Neil & Nancy Van Dyk F442182

2005 Alfa 2011 Chev Tahoe Toad

Rocky Ford, Co.

There are several variables when choosing a route:

Weather

Coach and it's capabilities-- an overloaded older gas coach is VERY different than a DP with engine compression brake!

AND MOST IMPORTANT: Driver's experience with driving heavy vehicles in tight conditions with 7+% grades. Said another way, if you are a retired truck driver from Denver, you are "good to go" is a lot less coach than a newbie with a DP with engine compression brake. So this is probably the most important element, and one where we can NOT evaluate your ability to safely drive a route.

Not unlike taking a guy from southern states and putting them in the middle of a snow storm-- all drivers are NOT equal.

Old Marine, Brett. Totally agree! Been on 50 many times and it's a beautiful ride in a P/U truck and SUV...would not think about doing it in

my coach or any coach ! Winter? Never! <_<:wacko:

To grow old, a man has got to know his limitations... :D

Carl

To grow old, a man has got to know his limitations... :D

I like that phrase! I will use this going forward....thanks Carl!

Neil Van Dyk is one who should be listened to. Rocky Ford Colorado is on US50 and located on Colorado's eastern plains. Loaded melons there a few times. Noticed this post too late for the OP. I have traveled US50 numerous times in motorhomes and tractor trailers. If I happened to be in Pueblo and needed to be in Grand Junction that is the way to go, even in the winter.

CDOT does a good job on Monarch Pass in the winter. If the pass has been plowed and exposed to some sun for a day or two with no snow on the way go for it. 50 west of Canon City is quite curvy until you get to Salida. The speed limits are mostly low anyway. Don't worry about traffic behind.

There are passing lanes and stretches where they can get around you. Some curvy spots on 50 west of Blue Mesa will slow you down a bit.

The KOA in Montrose is open year round and has spots for 45 footers. I moved into a spot that a 45' American Tradition had just left. I-70 for me is a no go twelve months of the year for the same reason Neil mentioned. Beautiful ride if it wasn't for the traffic.