Sign in to follow this  
washtech

Seeking Beartooth Highway Travel Tips

Question

Looking for comments from drivers who have traveled the Beartooth Highway. Any issues with taking 44' coach across this mountain roadway (hwy 14) from Ranchester, WY. south to Cody, Wy. ? Then headed from Cody to Yellowstone. Planning to do this in late May or early June.

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Washtech aka Jackster

Thanks Guys for all the input!! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but computer crashed. Better that than the Big Rig on Beartooth! I did hear that there is another further "south"of hwy 14, so I may take a look at that.

Thanks again for all the input and safe travels to you all in '16 .

Washtech aka Jackster

I have done the drive twice in the last 4 years--once on my Harley, and this past Sept in my Scion. It actually closed the day after I drove it due to weather and didn't reopen. I ended up coming back through Gardenier on the north end. Red Lodge is a nice town. I wouldn't take my 39 foot rig over it--it's a white knuckle drive! The first time on my Harley was in late June and there was still a ton of snow and about a 2 mile stretch of road under repair that was one lane and you follow a pilot vehicle. My Harley looked like I road the Baja after that! One other consideration, you break down up there it is going to cost a third world country's GDP to get help or a tow! Even if you don't have a toad, rent a car for a day or two to ride around especially over the pass. No matter what way you go into YNP you are going to climb over 10,000 foot passes on your way through and out. Hopefully you'll get some more input here from others.

We are making plans for a trip out west this summer (from SC through Yellowstone to Seattle. Found this great article providing information about some of the roads you are talking about: http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php?pg=all

Also, I checked on You Tube and you can actually call up videos of folks driving both routes 14 and 16 "from the driver's seat." The article plus the videos convinced us to take Route 16 and stay far, far away from 14. We have a 38-foot diesel pusher with the jake brake, etc. but when I read a comment about Route 14 that said something like...if your MH doesn't have a hinge in the middle!

Good luck with your trip -- we are so looking forward to seeing all that beautiful scenery.

B. Odom

This is a beautiful part of the country but remember you will be at high elevations. Last summer we were traveling the Beartooth Hwy on July 20 and it snowed. 4 years ago we were camped on the west side of Yellowstone in early June. Temps were below freezing every night and snowed two days of the trip. Plan your highways carefully. Some of these roads may not be open in May and June because they are still trying to get the snow plowed. Have been RVing for 40 years and would not recommend an RV on the Beartooth nor Chief Joseph pass or Hwy 14A in WY. Have driven 40 ft RV through Yellowstone and would not recommend it either. Hard to find parking to get out to see sites. Just be sure to bring coats because it will be cold at night and early morning.