randigreene

Shower Drain Tiffin Phaeton

Recently purchased a brand new Tiffin Phaeton. When taking a shower while hooked up to land hose the water accumulates at the bottom of the shower. By the time you are finished showering there is 2 - 3 inches of water on the bottom of the shower. Then it takes several minutes for it to drain away. Have taken the motorhome to dealer and they say nothing is wrong. Anyone experiencing a similar problem or know how to fix this one

randigreen. Welcome to the Forum.

I would take it to Red Bay, Al. Call and get a 3 hour appointment and tell them what the Dealer said...your under warranty! Tiffin will fix it, you should not be expected to do so!

Carl

FYI. Tiffin no longer makes appointments for service, you must show up at the service center to get on the schedule. Warranty coaches get priority, however you must go there to get on the list. The shower should not be draining so slowly! Sounds like an obstruction in the drain line.

randiegreen,

Has it been this way since you have had the coach or is it something new? You might find some place with an inspection camera and have them examine the drain. There are several thing that can cause slow drain, clogged with hair, manufacturing debris, miss alignment so many things. I would contact Tiffin anyway. One thing you might try is filling the pan till it backs up and try an old fashion "Plunger". It may unclog the drain. It may not help but it can't hurt to try.

Herman

Frank.

Not even for the fix in 3 hours or less?

Carl

It is what it is! Its been this way for several years. They had so much dissatisfaction with their reservation system that they just quit doing them, The new coach will probably get into an express bay (two technicians for a total of three hours) within 2 or 3 days, depending on how busy they are.

Tiffin is now using something called a Hepvo trap in place of the P-trap in at least some showers, especially in rear bath coaches. The Hepvo trap takes up less room than a P-trap. They are also using them on the kitchen sinks, which makes for more under the sink storage.

randigreene, welcome to the forum.

Hear is a video talking about the new trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QV6drbFbK0

I am wondering if yours is defective or the drop in the drain line isn't enough to get it to drain. I would definitely let Tiffin know you have a problem. Why not call and see if there is a fix. I am betting you aren't the only one with a problem.

Bill

This is why I got rid of the Allegro Bus! Too many new and improved mouse traps! What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" KISS... :P

Carl

This is why I got rid of the Allegro Bus! Too many new and improved mouse traps! What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" KISS... :P

Carl

Agreed!

Want to know the quality of something, ask a certified repair technician, their response will wake you up!

FYI. Tiffin no longer makes appointments for service, you must show up at the service center to get on the schedule. Warranty coaches get priority, however you must go there to get on the list. The shower should not be draining so slowly! Sounds like an obstruction in the drain line.

That makes no sense at all. Some guy buys a $500k bus, lives on the west coast and can't make an appointment to have a serious problem fixed! So he drives to Red Bay and finds out they are booked for a month...then what?

That makes no sense at all. Some guy buys a $500k bus, lives on the west coast and can't make an appointment to have a serious problem fixed! So he drives to Red Bay and finds out they are booked for a month...then what?

Tiffin made appointments by opening appointments for the year on Jan 1 of that year. They made 3 appointments per working day. Getting one of those appointments was similar to getting a reservation for a campsite that would hold a 40ft DP in the Yosemite NP. People made appointments "just in case" they might need one, and a large number went unused. The other side of that was arriving appointments would push back folks who had been waiting to get in, which caused hard feelings. They tried making appointments on a quarterly basis, with pretty much the same result. You can't please everyone, although Bob Tiffin tries. So now no appointments. They are doing a much better job of managing the service process with express (3 Hour) bays, mobile techs who come to your campsite, and giving priority to coaches in warranty. I made several warranty trips to Red Bay in my current coach and never had to wait over 5 days, even during "Snowbird" season. (Spring and Fall) There are a number of businessmen in Red Bay who do a great job of servicing Tiffin coaches and at a lower labor rate. You get the benefit of being in Red Bay with access to Tiffin's parts bay plus you can, and should, make an appointment. That's what I do for all non warranty work.

Sorry Frank, but you just made even less sense! "So, no appointments". Then you wrote, "plus you can and should make an appointment"! What is it?

Been to Red Bay many times, overflow is generator only...4 days of that is real fun. A town that rolls up the sidewalk at 8pm and 1 reasonably good restaurant! Just the place for a vacation....all my work was on warranty, or recall. In a 30 month period, I have documented 17, 318 miles to Red Bay! Yes, Bob was aware of it!

I got rid of the Allegro Bus at 36,000 +/- miles...Lazydays was so proved of my Bus, they took it to Auction after they gave me top dollar and I got the one I have now! A 2011 coach sold at Auction, as is, in Nov. 2013.

Sorry for being a little testy. For some reason, that I don't understand, it seems that the Phaeton has far fewer major problems than the other Tiffin models, both gas and DP's!

Carl

Sorry Frank, but you just made even less sense! "So, no appointments". Then you wrote, "plus you can and should make an appointment"! What is it?

Carl

If you go back and read my post you will see that I was referring to making appointments with the "Businessmen" in Red Bay, Brannon Hutchinson, Bruce Deaton, etc, not the Tiffin Service center!

I don't plan on ever buying another MH...but if I was...based on this thread...it would not be a Tiffin.

Been to Red Bay many times, overflow is generator only...4 days of that is real fun. A town that rolls up the sidewalk at 8pm and 1 reasonably good restaurant! Just the place for a vacation....all my work was on warranty, or recall. In a 30 month period, I have documented 17, 318 miles to Red Bay! Yes, Bob was aware of it!

I got rid of the Allegro Bus at 36,000 +/- miles...Lazydays was so proved of my Bus, they took it to Auction after they gave me top dollar and I got the one I have now! A 2011 coach sold at Auction, as is, in Nov. 2013.

Sorry for being a little testy. For some reason, that I don't understand, it seems that the Phaeton has far fewer major problems than the other Tiffin models, both gas and DP's!

Carl

So if I read your post and signature correctly, you traded a 2011 Tiffin for a 2010 AMC Tradition in 2013. Means your current coach was 3-4 years old when you got it, since the 2010 model year coaches are usually released in mid 2009. This of course means that you got a coach that a previous owner had worked the bugs out of. (Or it means that you rolled the dice and got a new on that had been sitting on a dealers lot for 3 years.) This is not a bad plan if you don't want to deal with "new coach" issues and don't want the latest features found on new coaches,

We determined that the features found on the 2015 Phaeton were worth dealing with the "new coach" issues. And yes. our 2015 went back to Red Bay several times during its first year. (September 2014 build). If I were to sell it now, the next buyer would get a basically bug free coach. Most of the issues that we had to deal with were problems with Coleman, Spyder Controls, Attwood, etc systems. Since our coach is one of the first of a complete redesign of the Phaeton product line, we had a few build issues which Tiffin fixed very quickly. We never had to wait more than 5 days to get into service, even during "snowbird" season. We are fortunate that we pass by Red Bay several times a year on our way West or East. We have all of our service work done in Red Bay, but not necessarily at the Tiffin service facility.

Sorry you got a problem coach, there is not a manufacturer out there that doesn't have one of these occasionally.

Frank.

My 2010 was built in January of 2010, the Spartan Chassis & Cummins 425 came off line 16 Dec. 2009. If you pull up the 2010 Catalogue, you will be looking at my coach and reading about it! It's the 45Y floor plan.

Yes, it had a lot off things that had to be fixed by Lazydays (64 items) and took 5 weeks, but the price was right, I wrote a $53,500 check for the difference! My Allegro Bus was the new 37' design and that was probably 60% of the problem!

Now my bugs are all gone and I have decided to keep it, so Texas Custom Coach will get my coach in mid April for a exterior and some interior re modeling. They will have it for 8 weeks, while I'm in Norway (my second home). It will be in West Springfield in August.

Stop by if your there, or Perry!

Carl

Just want to share a little story about my new Allegro Bus & the shower with the trough in the bottom. I noticed after we were showering there was some water on the ground outside. I spent a while trying to figure out the problem & discovered the trough is glued to the base & has separated. Apparently to replace the shower I need to bring my coach to Red Bay. Can’t see that happening any time soon, since I am in western Canada. A temporary fix was to epoxy the crack until a more permanent fix can be arranged. This trough is a poor design. As stated above this shower does not drain well.