mypopslou

Aqua-Hot Heating System Questions

I am planning on purchasing a 2016 Tuscany by Thor that has an Aqua Heating system.I am unfamiliar with this system and have a couple of questions:

1.) Can it run on 50-amp electric service regardless of outside temperature?
2.) If I run it in diesel mode, how much fuel does it use per hour?
3.) My new coach also has 3 air conditioners with heat pumps. To what temperature are they effective?
4.) Will I have on-demand hot water regardless of which system I use?

Appreciate any information anyone can offer. Thanks

2006 Tuscany soon to be a 2016 Tuscany
2014 Jeep Wrangler

POP,

You may run your Aqua Hot on electric. It has a heating element that will keep you in hot water and heat the coach. It is a lot quiter than the heat pumps. They say the HPs will function down into the mid thirties. One thing you need to do with your Aqua Hot is to exercise it at least once a month, year round and have it serviced once a year.

1.) Can it run on 50 amp electric service regardless of outside temperature?

Yes, although diesel heats much faster, then electric element does well keeping room temperature.

2.) If I run it in diesel mode, how much fuel does it use per hour?

I have AquaHot 450D and use about 1.5 gallons thru the night, with out use of 12.5Kw generator, much quieter and substantially less fuel used.
3.) My new coach also has 3 air conditioners with heat pumps, to what temperature are they effective?

Each heat pump is slightly different, age, humidity, etc. although most will function to low 40's
4.) Will I have on demand hot water regardless of which system I use?

Yes although if you want high volume usage (shower) diesel will provide unlimited HOT water, where electric element will deliver hot water to begin with, dropping to warm.

Enjoy your new unit as I went from 2003 Winnebago with 10 gallon electric propane heater, to 2014 Entegra AquaHot. Believe me when I say you won't regret the change. You will need to preform proper annual maintenance.

POP,

When taking a shower, switch over to diesel. Electric is great for dish washing, but will run cold in shower when your half done, due to volume...BRRR! On diesel mine burns about .3 gal. per hour for heat. Water, don't know! Heath pumps are good to 36 degrees avg. depends on humidity!

Carl

Most heat pumps have a backup element installed and will automatically change over from pump to the electric element at the manufacturers programmed outside temperature. Meaning that it normally will keep you warm at much lower temperatures than the stated heat pump changeover temperatures. This is a question to ask the dealer, and if they don't know, a call to the heat pump manufacturer with the units model number for verification.

I use two heat pumps on the roof with the backup elements installed, have camped in temperatures as low as 11 degrees and was still comfortable.

Happy motoring with the new unit if the sale matures.

Kay

Pop, looks like your questions have been answered. one thing to add, as with our heat pumps are too cold I believe my Dometic (dual 13,500 btu Penguins on the roof) book says below 36 degrees they will not turn on, I get "ICE" on the display which means the compressor oil is too cold and will not allow them to turn on to prevent damage. When its that cold I leave the Aqua Hot on electric and Diesel, it is more than capable of delivering moist heat throughout. Honestly I think the roof tops should be able to handle this function and there is probably something that can be altered to make it work. We just have no desire to run the coach when its that cold out anyway.

According to AH, the 400 series uses .4 GPH. Our experience is that the electric element cannot keep up with hot water demand for more than one shower...have to turn on the burner. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, when driving and using the AH for coach heat, if cold, the burner must be on, eng heat is not enough.

As for the heat pump, it works down to about 40...we don't use it much.

Bear in mind that the .4 gph is for a constant on time of 1 hour.  Your burner will not run for that length of time, it will run only long enough to keep the boiler fluid at the correct temperature.  We have found, in Benson where we spend our winters (the desert does get below freezing) that we burn right around .6 gallons per day, on average, for both hot water and heat for our "season" (October thru April).  Very fuel efficient and, since I fill the tank just before arrival, we can go the whole season on a single tank and still not be anywhere near the safe cutoff volume of the tank (1/4 tank).

webslave,

Good to know how much diesel your AH burns. I get asked often what MPG I get, between the generator, Aqua Hot and coach engine that is really hard to determine. I calculated it on a few trips and it varies so much due to wind direction and terrain, I gave up! I just filler up when it get around a half tank or headed home and its going to sit.

I have noticed the AH system runs significantly less in an hour compared to a propane furnace since the residual heat is still present at the heat exchangers and the electric side is trying to maintain that as well.

Just learned something (actually a few things, stems from reading the owners manual :D) about Aqua Hot. There are two switches on my dash that had me puzzled, one I figured out already. I just couldn't understand why two switches that basically do the same thing. Here they are;

ENG HEAT; This activates a 4th zone pump on the Aqua hot that will circulate the engine coolant through the engine and back to keep it warm.

ENG PRE HEAT; this one I was aware of, it turns on an outlet in the engine bay where the block heater plugs in.

1 minute ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Those darn owners manuals, They have just two much info.:D:o

Bill 

Yea, and I read all 344 pages :lol:

Those I looked through when I bought the coach, the main manual was not in the box. Are you kidding, I'd be surprised if I retain 25% of what I read :lol:

6 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Those I looked through when I bought the coach, the main manual was not in the box. Are you kidding, I'd be surprised if I retain 25% of what I read :lol:

At least you have them for reference if you have a problem.

Bill

I found this video to help explain how an Aqua Hot system works. I didn't notice the basement heat in the video but works as an additional heat exchanger, that heats itself, tank heater strips and a 12v heater in the wet bay. 

Owners manual...yea, either TMI or not enough!  But you really need to go thru it all on a rainy day or two, it will save you time and aggravation later on! :rolleyes::P

Well this is my first winter with my new coach and the aqua-heating system. We are in Kansas City because my daughter just gave birth to twins so we are helping her out. We arrived in the campground on December 16 with a almost full tank of fuel (150 gallons). The first weekend here it dropped to -8 degrees but the rest of the time has been in the 30's 40' and even 50-'s. On Friday when it was in the 20's the coach seem cold so after checking settings on system etc I checked my fuel gauge and low and behold I only had a quarter of a tank of fuel remaining so the Aqua Heat System would not work on the burner. I was amazed as I had not expected it to go through 100 gallons of diesel fuel in less than 30 days. Had a choice to unhook and go to fueling station or bring fuel to coach. I brought fuel to coach, 80 gallons in 2- 5 gallon containers, was too tired could not do any more. I am very disappointed I used that much fuel in such a short amount of time. With the exception of that first weekend it has not been extremely cold. 20's at night 40's during the day with an occasional colder day and an occasion warmer day. The electric heat cannot keep coach warm but each day I am turning the burner off and only running it at night. I am now trying to use heat pumps when I can.

Well live and learn but not really that impressed with system, could something be wrong with system, I did have a lot of problems with coach including aqua heat when I bought coach and it is still under warranty

Any thoughts

POPS,

Congratulation on the Twins. Hope every body is doing well.

Sorry for your problem with the Aqua Hot. That does seem to be quite a lot of fuel. Until you have a chance to have the unit service might I make a few suggestions.

Turn on your electric to the unit to heat hot water. Turn the AH off during the days when the temp get above 40 degrees and use the heat pumps. Only run it at nights for heat. Set the heat pump at a comfortable temp during the day. 

Give Lloyd De Gerald a call. He is one of the finest AH techs I know. Your unit may still be under warranty.

Lloyd De Gerald

501-258-8426

lloyd.degerald@gmail.com

Good Luck,

Herman

That does not sound like too much fuel to me.  The burner uses .38/gal per hour and in very low temps the burner runs a lot as it needs to keep the interior and the bays warm.  30 days includes 720 hours.  720 X .38 would be 274 gallons of fuel.  If the burner only runs 1/3 of that time then it is still nearly 91 gallons in 30 days.

I don't think you have a problem, you just happen to be in a very cold climate and you need more fuel.  Imagine what you would have to have done if you had a propane fired coach!

Mypopslou, congratulations I hope everyone is well!

I can say from experience from a 2013 trip out I-10 to CA with our last coach with propane it's much harder to locate then Diesel. On a two week trip in the winter we used 120 gallons of LPG and the average night temperature was 15. We didn't have a cold weather option on that unit and I struggled to locate propane to keep the furnace on. 

I guess how the coach is insulated and if the AH is working properly will play a huge part on your overall fuel consumption.

Nice calculation Bill. Keeping warm in a motor home in extremely cold weather can be both difficult and costly. That why we will run the heat pumps during the day on the park a nickel. 

Herman 

Congrates on the twins!

Given a choice between the 2 systems, I'll take AH.  I have never run a tank of diesel down that far on my AH, the few times that I have needed the system for a long period of time, I check my fuel level each week,  Since it heats my coach and my water for showers, laundry and dishes, I never take anything for granted.  It's a lot easier to go find a gas station in the middle of the night and weekends, than propane!

Carl