jleamont

Fire Suppression Systems

Anyone ever retrofit a fire suppression system into a coach engine compartment? Any kit recommendations specific manufactures etc?

I am considering installing a system in our DP and their is a bunch of information on the web with different designs options and a wide variety of pricing.

I am a strong believer in fire suppression in boat engine rooms. The good news is that they are a pretty confined space. So anything that displaces oxygen for long enough for the source to get below ignition point is extremely effective.

Now, diesel pusher (or gas for that matter) engine rooms are very open. Achieving the same "oxygen displacement" is challenging at best.

IMO (mine only), time spent verifying that the fuel, hydraulic and electrical system in the engine room are in good condition is the way to lower fire risk. That doesn't mean that adding a fire suppression system is not ALSO a good decision.

I think if you feel you need a system you should get one. I just haven't seen that many RV fires that were engine related especially in diesel coaches. I have seen video of fires caused by faulty refrigerators, flat tires but the total number is minimal compared to how many are out there.

Bill

We have an automatic extinguisher in our engine compartment. We purchased it at an FMCA Convention about eight years ago. Mac McCoy, AKA Mac the Fire Guy, did the seminar he is a retired fireman. I just took our coach out for state safety inspection today. Before I started out, I verified that the extinguisher was still showing a full charge. When we purchased the extinguisher Mac came to our coach and recommended where the extinguisher should be installed (above the bank of relays) to be most effective. If you attend an FMCA Convention or other rally you should make it a point to get to his seminar.

We were parked next to a coach that caught fire several years ago. The coach hadn't been moved in weeks. The fire started in the engine compartment (gas engine) and the entire coach was involved within 10 minutes. By the time the fire department arrived there wasn't much to save. I doubt our extinguisher would stop a fire like that but even if it slowed it down and gave us another minute or two to escape, it would be well worth the expense.

Anyone ever retrofit a fire suppression system into a coach engine compartment? Any kit recommendations specific manufactures etc?

I am considering installing a system in our DP and their is a bunch of information on the web with different designs options and a wide variety of pricing.

I just received the SS300-R4 system for my 36-foot Monaco DP. I used this web site: http://www.firefightmarine.com/ffproducts/products/large-format-automatic-systems/

I haven't installed it yet, but will before our next trip this summer. It was important to me, so I'm happy to pay for the extra protection....whatever that level may be. The extra level of fire suppression may be the difference between my wife and me getting out of the coach safely...or not. Worth the cost for the peace of mind. IMHO. I also agree with Brett that prevention of fire in the first place by ensuring the engine and it's component parts are in proper and clean operating condition is key. Dan

As Brett mentioned, I had them in my boats, both for my peace of mind and to meet APBA (American Power Boat Assoc.)! My question is, have anyone measured how hot it gets in the engine compartment of a DP under normal operating conditions? Also, in a heat wave with the added reflection of heat from road surface?

What I'm concerned about, is the relative low set point (280+F) by the manufacturer...will it go off with no fire?

Carl

Eight years and no problems, traveling all over the US in all kinds of conditions. I would probably locate it away from the exhaust manifold! Ours is on the opposite side of the engine compartment from the exhaust manifold. We have a side radiator and a relatively open engine compartment. Yours may be different. Check the link in my post above. If you can contact Mac, he can probably answer your question about temperature in the engine compartment.

Thank you for the information. I was thinking about it not to save the unit as much as it give you a better chance if getting out before it goes up. My boat also had a system in it, I cant recall the manufacture, it was probably the only thing that didn't need some sort of repair while I had it.

Tom, I saw mac's recommended products on the web and his product was one I was considering. Our engine bays are probably similar since both units have the same power, chassis and body manufacture, we have a significant amount of room back there, which makes Brett's point stick more of how effective it would be.

My boat the engine bay was sealed with the exception of the Bilge pump. I will have to give it some more consideration before making a purchase.

Thank you

I did notice that the fire guy's suppressant was about 25% more than the other link...they are both the same system!

I'll check it out in Perry!

Carl

I saw the Fire Guy's article in FMCA Magazine a few months ago, too.  This is the only post that came up when I searched the topic on this forum, so doesn't appear to be much out there on the subject, and as is the case in many things in life, seems to be a 50/50 issue.  

I wonder, do the tractor trailers we see out on the highway use them?

58 minutes ago, rpbuttery said:

I saw the Fire Guy's article in FMCA Magazine a few months ago, too.  This is the only post that came up when I searched the topic on this forum, so doesn't appear to be much out there on the subject, and as is the case in many things in life, seems to be a 50/50 issue.  

I wonder, do the tractor trailers we see out on the highway use them?

I am in that business and I have never seen one equipped