afrede

RV Campgrounds In The Smoky Mountains

We are planning a trip to the Smoky Mountains in April 2016. We have a 40' Motorcoach.

Can anyone suggest a nice campground? We will be coming from St. Louis, Missouri. We want to spend most of our time in the national park and definitely Cades Cove.

We were hoping for a place that is not in all the hustle and bustle of Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge area and didn't want to have to drive thru all of that to get to the park. Can anyone suggest a nice campground?

Thank you very much!

Amy

Welcome to the forum.

I have ben to the area a couple of times. I like Smoky Bear Campground and RV Park, 4857 East Pkwy, Gatlinburg, TN 37738, smokybearcampground.com, (865) 436-8372.

When you plan your trip I recommend coming in from the East on 321 off I-40 Yes it is longer but you don't have to go through the traffic in the Pigeon Forge Gatlinburg area. it is bad enough with your toad (yes you should see it in your toad) but is a drag trying to get through in a coach. Yes I made that mistake once. This last summer we spent a week in the area. One interesting daytrip is to go over the mountains on 441 and spend some time in the Cherokee area. I went east and circled around the east end of the park coming back. 19 to 276 to 40 and back in on 321.

There are lots of interesting places to see in the area. I will be going back next year to see more.

Bill

Hi alfredo,

I don't post here often, but I thought I would respond to you inquiry. We've been to Pigeon Forge/Smoky Mountains area 5 times; most recently April 17-19 last year. We are attending a Thor Diesel Club Rally in the same area April 24th- 29th 2016. We have a 42 foot coach and tow a Jeep. Quite frankly, I don't consider the "Main Drag" through Pigeon Forge and Sevierville all that bad. There has been major road construction there for the last several years and that's pretty well wrapped up and we had zero problems last spring navigating through town. Check the local Chamber of Commerce calendar before you make plans. The 3rd week of April is the spring "Rod Run". Unless you're into "cars" big time, I'd suggest you stay clear. There's about 2000 cars riding the strip and another 10,000 people in attendance.

Our favorite place to stay is Up The Creek RV. It's about 4 or 5 miles out of town. There are a couple of right angle turns from one small paved road onto another small paved road so just take your time and you'll be fine. It's for self contained units only, no shower house etc, full hook-ups naturally, mostly back-in sites, with privacy plantings between sites, concrete patios. The park was adding a number of new sites last spring and would probably be ready by now. Please check their website. If you have pets, there's a decent fenced in dog park as well. Not much for kids to do. Once you are unhooked from your toad, there is a back road from the RV Park that avoids the busy strip and will take you right to the entrance of Smokey Mountains National Park. Hope this helps.

Thank you both so much for responding. Thanks Dan.duwe for your info on the car "Rod Run". Oh no!! We are traveling from St. Louis to Gaffney, SC for a two day Camp Freightliner training so cannot reschedule.

We're new to this RVing and wanted to take the course. I looked up the Rod Run and it's over on April 16. We'll be there on April 20 so I'm hoping we'll be okay.

I will make sure I check for anything else. I love the campground you suggested and really appreciate the info on the roads.

Take care to both of you and thanks again!

Amy

I would suggest a campground in Townsend, TN. We stay at the Big Meadow Family Campgroud almost every year. It is 2 miles from the park entrance and about 9 miles from Cades Cove. Townsend is considered the "quiet side of the Smokies."

Don't overlook staying at one of the GSMNP campgrounds. Elkmont would be best bet for 40" MH. Typical national park sites with no hook ups but you are in the park. Several sites that can handle 40' and toad. we have done it many times. It is located about 6 miles or so out of Gatlinburg. In april you might even be able to get a river site. Reserve thru recreation.gov site. The campground at Cades Cove might be a little tight for 40' unit, but i have not stayed there since owning one myself. Townsend is also a good option.

Bill.

Smoky Bear Campground, when I Goggled it brought back a flood of memories from 07' and 09'! Your right about coming in from the East...great place to stay and take Toad or bike to explore....I could spend a month and not see everything worth seeing! They do have some crazy, but beautiful roads in the area...hwy. 32 and 28 are near and dear! Saw a 18 wheeler stuck on a corner of Hwy. 28, surprised he got as far as he did...lol.

I'll be there in July on my way to W. Springfield and may even stop by again on my way to NC.

Thanks for the memories!

Carl

Thank you both so much for responding. Thanks Dan.duwe for your info on the car "Rod Run". Oh no!! We are traveling from St. Louis to Gaffney, SC for a two day Camp Freightliner training so cannot reschedule.

We're new to this RVing and wanted to take the course. I looked up the Rod Run and it's over on April 16. We'll be there on April 20 so I'm hoping we'll be okay.

I will make sure I check for anything else. I love the campground you suggested and really appreciate the info on the roads.

Take care to both of you and thanks again!

Amy

Look at what I posted. Come in from the east and you don't have the traffic problems.

Bill

I'll be there June 28 through July fourth again, I stay at Creekside in Pigeon Forge. There have been several that have sprung up in Wears Valley, can't remember their names but they are there, also at Townsend the one mentioned above, and the KOA there is nice, though a little pricey.

Both of these places can be accessed through Pigeon Forge then out 321. When coming into these areas off of I-40, take 66 to 411, turn left to veterans bvld., turn right past Dollywood, then right on Teaser Lane till you see Belles outlet, turn left at the end of the almost closed mall, this hgy. 321, much easier than going through town. Veterans Bvld is 5 lanes with limited traffic, even when the parkway is hosed up.

Yes Bill but the roads are pretty windey.

We stayed at Pine Mountain RV park, the campground had clean sites were nice and roomy, concrete sites with asphalt roads. The one thing we didn't like was the pool. They have a kiddy pool at the campground and the regular pool is at their affiliate Best Western across the street. We traveled straight through Pigeon Forge on RT321 and it wasn't too bad to get to theCG, maybe 5-8 cars in front of us at each light. This trip was July 7th 2014.

This year we are booked at Anchor Down campground in Dandridge TN.

On the Pigeon Forge side of the mountain, we like Anchor Down RV Resort. It is a few miles out of town, just off I-40, but is a super resort on Douglas Lake. Closer to the park, in Townsend, we also enjoy Big Meadow Family Campground.

We like Lake Powhatan, Pisgah Forest (Asheville, NC)  and Rivervista down in Dillard, Ga.

there are about 15 campgrounds identified out on the Big Rig Map (These are campsites verfiied by 40+ footers with detailed blog reviews we keep updated here - www.mhrig.com

On 5/3/2016 at 7:39 PM, klandersnitrox said:

We like Lake Powhatan, Pisgah Forest (Asheville, NC)  and Rivervista down in Dillard, Ga.

there are about 15 campgrounds identified out on the Big Rig Map (These are campsites verfiied by 40+ footers with detailed blog reviews we keep updated here - www.mhrig.com

Keith, thank you for the website information. I just liked it on Facebook. It tends to be a struggle, most places will tell you it will fit, but you can't get to it for one reason or another until you try which is frustrating.

Arrived at Anchor down RV resort tonight in Dandridge TN (near Pigeon Forge) all I have to say is WOW is this place nice! I will post photos tomorrow in the gallery.

25 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Arrived at Anchor down RV resort tonight in Dandridge TN (near Pigeon Forge) all I have to say is WOW is this place nice! I will post photos tomorrow in the gallery.

Have a great time. Last year we stayed on the other side of Gatlinburg at Smoky Bear Campground. There is lots to see in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. For a day trip try driving to the town of Cherokee across the park on 441. Then come back around the park on 19 to 276 to I-40 to 32 to 321 and back to Pigeon Forge.:D It is a interesting drive. When in Cherokee you can go to the caseno. 

How long are you staying in the area? There are so many amazing roads in the park and historic places.

Bill

Bill, we leave Sunday morning for home. We came here two other times 1998 and camped with my grandparents in their coach and again in 2014 in our coach, we loved it so much we came back this year. Today is a relaxation day, gonna smoke a turkey on the Traeger and sit back. Rest of the week.... Dollywood (one day), Gatlinburg and probably wander around Pigeon Forge, shop etc. Most likely drop the top on the jeep and head up into the Smokey Mountains for the views at some point also. 

Joe, if you can get the top down, I suspect it will be Sat....maybe.  Mess of rain heading your way.  WBill should move to that area, he knows more about it, than the natives!  :lol:  That's not a bad thing!

Carl

On 8/16/2016 at 7:42 AM, jleamont said:

Bill, we leave Sunday morning for home. We came here two other times 1998 and camped with my grandparents in their coach and again in 2014 in our coach, we loved it so much we came back this year. Today is a relaxation day, gonna smoke a turkey on the Traeger and sit back. Rest of the week.... Dollywood (one day), Gatlinburg and probably wander around Pigeon Forge, shop etc. Most likely drop the top on the jeep and head up into the Smokey Mountains for the views at some point also. 

That turkey sounds good. I didn't spend much time on the Piegion Forge side. But if you what to check out some places to eat look at these. Greenbrier Restaurant, 370 Newman Rd, Gatlinburg, TN 37738, greenbrierrestaurant.com, (865) 436-6318. The Greenbriar was an old hunting lodge.

Cherokee Grill & Steakhouse, 1002 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738, cherokeegrill.com, (865) 436-4287.

Alamo Steakhouse, 705 E Pkwy, Gatlinburg, TN 37738, alamosteakhouse.com, (865) 436-9998.

If you go to the visitors center at the Gatlinburg entrance the rangers do a nature walk and talk about the history of the area. There is a working water powered grist mill at one of the visitor centers but I think it is on the other side of the park. You shouldn't have any problem keeping busey. 

Bill

Bill, thanks for the ideas. You certainly will not get bored here. If you are looking for dinner after 7pm....well that will get you in trouble :wacko: